How do I prep myself for breastfeeding?

My husband has told me that at the hospital, they will clip nipples... And that alarmed me a little. I can't stand needles, let alone getting cut willingly.. I would like to know if that is true.. Or I was right when I told him that they will just open on their own when its close to delivery.. Please let me know..

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:45 PM on Oct. 1, 2008 in Pregnancy

• CLIP NIPPLES? no- tell your hubby to stop messing with you. you can't really prep for it, the baby comes out, you put him/her to you and put your nipple in their mouth and they suck...
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 8:42 PM on Oct. 1, 2008

• what ? lol i never heard of that really i havent i just jumped right in with my first they day he was born was the first time any dr really saw my boobs lol and they didnt do anyhting to me just showed me how to feed him
    iloveyall2008

Answer by iloveyall2008 at 6:49 PM on Oct. 1, 2008

• WHAT??????? They didn't clip mine. I think your hubby might be trying to scare you but I could be wrong but from personal experiences I didn't.
    lelandsmom6707

Answer by lelandsmom6707 at 6:51 PM on Oct. 1, 2008

• Oh S&^T girl!! Who has he been talking to?? You don't need to do anything to "prep" for breastfeeding. Other than some harmless info. classes. It always looks natural, but it actually does take some work. After all neither you or the baby has breastfed before. It should never hurt you. If it does baby is not latching on properly. Consult with your local La Leche League or some other nursing consultant and get the real facts. Clip the nipples?? Pure Bull. Don't let him scare you.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 6:55 PM on Oct. 1, 2008

• LOL! DOES HE WORK FOR THE OBSTETRICS UNIT AT THE HOSPITAL? BECAUSE IF HE DOESNT HES JUST TRYN TO SCARE YOU I HAVE NEVER HEARD OF THAT. JUST START SQUEEZING YOUR NIPPLES SO THAT THEY TOUGHN UP MY LAST TRIMESTER I WOULD DO THAT EVERY NIGHT AND IT HELPED.
    TINYFEET08

Answer by TINYFEET08 at 6:56 PM on Oct. 1, 2008

• what you can do to get ready for breastfeeding is get a dry rag and rub your nipples so that you can get used to it. that's what a lactation nurse told me i could do to get ready. you can do it while in the shower...
    Anonymous

• Thanks you guys.. I had to ask because it worried me. I didn't think they did.. And I thought it sounded a little farfetched to me. So I had to ask.
    Anonymous