he ate a penny....

So my son is 11 months old and ate a penny on tuesday (july 13)... well i havent seen it in his poop yet, i could have missed it but im still worried... shold i take him in to have a doc check him out and see if its still there or should i not worry? Help me please!!

TJ89

Asked by TJ89 at 3:53 PM on Jul. 19, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I would have him checked out. Make sure you go thru all the diapers to find it. You don't want it to get lodged anywhere it shouldn't be.
    NAT24ROXY24

Answer by NAT24ROXY24 at 3:54 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• Call pediatrician and explain as you have here. Good luck!
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 3:54 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• humm...its the 19th...i'd call the md to make sure the metal isn't a problem if it hasn't passed yet
    surfcitymom

Answer by surfcitymom at 3:55 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• Yea i think you should. It doesnt hurt to be safe than sorry. An x-ray should help. Hope everything turns out ok.
    mercy928

Answer by mercy928 at 3:56 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• Some doctors prefer to go fishing for change after it has been in there for 7-10 days just to be sure it doesn't make the child sick. You can call the doctor and see what they say. Remind him of where the penny bank is for next time though!! A few months ago my 4.5 yr old that still puts everything in her mouth swallowed three quarters we saw them on x ray, it was interesting.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 3:59 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• I would take him to the doctor anyway. Better safe than sorry especially if you have insurance.
    AdrianaS

Answer by AdrianaS at 4:06 PM on Jul. 19, 2010