Will you give me some suggestions? PLEASE and THANK YOU!

I am working on my almost 3 year old getting her out of pull ups. She is my 3rd child and the most stubborn one so far. My other 2 all I had to do was put panties/underwear on them and that was it. With my almost 3 year old is a whole other story. I have even tried the 3 day potty training and nope did not work. She knows when she has to potty because she will tell me that she already did it. We have put her on the potty every 20-30 minutes but that did not help. I am at my wits end about it and want to give up. Any words of encouragement would be great also.

itsallabtthem84

Asked by itsallabtthem84 at 4:08 PM on Jul. 19, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I know sometimes the whole treat oriented reward isn't the best philosophy, but think of something she really likes or would really like to do. Make it a goal. Start the old sticker chart or something she can actually mark and see herself. She has to use the potty and gets a sticker. Then move it to, her pull up has to be dry and use the potty and gets a sticker. Make it a goal of so many stickers a day gets her a treat. But if she makes it a week or two weeks, whatever your goal is, she gets this bigger reward. A night at grandmas, or a trip to the pool, or maybe something like a new toy or bike. You pick the reward that works for you.

Remember these kids have successes and failures. It is more important to celebrate the successes no matter how small. They ave total control over the potty training thing. You have to make them want to do it and it has to be their idea. Almost three is a good age to get started.
    Lifes-A-Dance

Answer by Lifes-A-Dance at 4:14 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• Give up. Yep, I say give it up for now. It will be much easier than the every 30 minute potty breaks and the yelling and frustration of her not doing what you want her to. wait 4-6 months and if she has not done it herself try again.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 4:12 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• Don't give up, the summer's only half over! You can still make your goal of school in the fall!
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 4:21 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• It sounds like a "power struggle" to me and you are losing. Making a really big deal about it gets her the attention she wants along with feeling she is in control. THIS IS NORMAL; just tell her she is a big girl and she can go to the toilet like a big girl or be a baby and poop in her pants like a baby. Tell her that when she decides to become a BIG GIRL and stop soiling her panties, you will take her to the store and let her pick out and buy big girl underwear she likes. And maybe get her a little surprise as well.

This worked with my kids when they were little.

Good luck! It is a battle sometimes.
    AdrianaS

Answer by AdrianaS at 4:14 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• Adriana I have done that, letting her pick out her own panties.

itsmesteph, I don't yell at her just get frustrated at times. If I give up then she won't be able to go to school in August.
    itsallabtthem84

Comment by itsallabtthem84 (original poster) at 4:16 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• I know what it is like to have stubborn ones-- my oldest was very stubborn and my youngest is down right resistive to potty training. One thing that I did with the oldest (and am trying with the youngest) is I put up a rewards cart. Every time he sat on the potty he got a sticker on the cart and a prize out of the prize bucket. And once he was fully trained he got a 'big reward' prize. I also would praise him each time he went, even if he only sat on the potty.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 4:17 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• I am going through a similar situation with my second son. he knows when he has to go potty and will if we are out of the house, but when we r home refuses to go to the bathroom. I have given up for now and will work on him when he shows more interest in wearing big boy undies.
    krauseboys

Answer by krauseboys at 11:16 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• Don't try to get her to do anything. It becomes more emotional than physical.
    When it's time (physically) then she is truly ready. Whenever that may be...
    And remember that she is not your other kids, she is a unique soul. Try not to compare.
    :-)
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 3:24 AM on Jul. 20, 2010

• I've been going through the same thing with my 3 y/o boy... I know they say not to do this.. but when he pee's somewhere he's not supposed to i give him a swat and make him clean up his mess....and when he goes on the potty he get's a reward...so far his attitude toward using the potty has changed quite a bit these last couple of days.
    EveMomToThree

Answer by EveMomToThree at 11:33 PM on Jul. 20, 2010