is this age appropriate or pre-sociopathic?

Kids (4 years 1 month and 5 years 8 months) picking up and carrying around a dead bird? The younger, apparently stepped on it as well.... allegedly accidentally but I have my doubts. I was fixing the weed eater in the garage and they were coloring w/ chalk. They brought it to me as a gift, like a cat would do. They were puzzled when I threw up and even more confused when I was crying and stripping their clothes off. I am a moderate germ-a-phobe but that sent me over the edge. They eat with those fingers, we share popcorn with those fingers. Their hands are forever tainted.... please advise?

hibbingmom

Asked by hibbingmom at 4:10 PM on Jul. 19, 2010 in General Parenting

• No, being interested in a dead bird isn't pre-sociopathic.

Having a total freak out because your child touched a dead bird...possibly pre-neurotic :)
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 4:27 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• I think you a re going a little overboard. NO, they should not have picked up the dead bird, or stepped on it...but I dont think that makes them sociopathic.

Chill....
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 4:12 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• i think you might be blowing this out of proportion...kids are curious. they found a dead bird, thought it was cool, and wanted to show mom!
    And forever tainted?? really? Just wash em up good lol.
    Mrs.Loeffel

Answer by Mrs.Loeffel at 4:12 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• They are little kids! My son picked up a dead baby bird when he was about 4 and brought it to me. It was a compassionate thing, not a crazy thing. And as gross as it was, it made my heart melt because he wanted to help the animal. Soap and water momma. Take some deeeeeep breaths, it will be OK.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 4:13 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• They will be fine. I think your the one with the problem though. Picking up a dead bird will not forever taint their fingers.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 4:14 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• i think that sounds kind of normal...... theyre little kids thye dont know that their fingers are getting tainted...

im sorry i think you overreacted a lot.
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 4:15 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• Kids are curious. They do not have the fears programmed into them that adults have. They are learning about the world around them and until someone gives them a REASON to be fearful or they learn it themselves (like being burnt by touching something hot), it's just natural curiosity.

Your reaction however is a bit alarming.
    BuddyRoo

Answer by BuddyRoo at 4:20 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• Sounds like you might have a form of OCD
    June_Mama09

Answer by June_Mama09 at 4:12 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• I think its normal... I brought my aunt a dead mouse I found when I was about 5 yrs old when I was diggin for dinosaurs.lol. I'd say dont worry about. when it happens over and over again and then hiding it thats what is considered strange, i love serial killer sociology, so l have a general gist of what it means, and jsut sharing it with you is just that. Sharing it. They obviously thought it was neat enough.
    shesahophead

Answer by shesahophead at 4:13 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• This is NOT pre-sociopathic. They didn't kill the bird! They found a dead bird and were curious. We saw one on the sidewalk on a walk and my 3 1/2 yr old was obsessed with wanting to see it and kept asking if we could walk that way again with every walk. They are curious. that is all. And death doesn't effect their minds like it does ours. Especially if they have never known anyone or anything that has died. While it is creepy the idea of them carrying it around. To say their hands are forever tainted is pretty extreme.
    SoniaL

Answer by SoniaL at 4:14 PM on Jul. 19, 2010