What do you say....

when your 6 year old says "I hate you" ?

Other than saying youre grounded or thats not nice and hurts my feelings? I need something to say in response to him. Its def been one of those days where he has acted up all day long and he just said it to me twice, lol.

MamaSpurg

Asked by MamaSpurg at 4:31 PM on Jul. 19, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I don't ground my kids for expressing their feelings but I remind them of the appropriate way to do it. I save the groundings for the serious stuff. They say it to get your attention and let you know they are beyond angry. Sometimes they can't find the words and they know you don't want them to say it. I say something like, wow, I can see you are really upset. I don't allow you to use those words. I try to get them to tell me how they feel. If it is something that they wanted or wanted to do and I wouldn't let them, I have a full discussion about my reasons for my decision. We talk it out. Just like I expect them to do. Usually its because they don't understand my decision or they think they aren't being treated fairly. But I am the parent and what I say goes. My decisions are final. We can always talk about it, but it isn't ok to disrespect me.
    Lifes-A-Dance

Answer by Lifes-A-Dance at 4:38 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• say i dont care, i still love you
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 4:33 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• I say "That's fine. I'm still your mother and I will always love you"

Kids don't have to like their parents.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 4:36 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• I would say. "Then I am doing my job as your mother" And you still are not going to get whatever you wanted.

Answer by louise2 at 4:39 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• "Ahh, man! That really sucks! Cause I just love you SOOO much!"
    renea20

Answer by renea20 at 4:33 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• Whenever any of my boys (ages 11, 6, & 4) say "I hate you" I look at them, give them a big hug, and say "But I love you!" They usually storm off but after a few minutes they always come back and say I love you mom.
    Juggalette0327

Answer by Juggalette0327 at 4:35 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• "okay. Now, give me the definition of hate." I do this to my 9 year old sister all the time. Each time, she says she doesn't know or shrugs and I tell her "know what you're saying before you say it."
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 4:35 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• my mom just used to say " thats okay, cause i still love you" it would always make my little sisters so mad
    jaksonsmommy

Answer by jaksonsmommy at 4:38 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• My daughter is 4 and when she says something that hurts my feelings I wait until the dust clears and we can have a conversation I flip things around and ask her how she would feel if it were said to her and that always seems to work and she apologizes. I have not heard I hate you, but I have hear I don't like you. Which hey is about the same thing anyway.
    Savymom25

Answer by Savymom25 at 4:38 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• when you say that it just makes me love you more
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 4:44 PM on Jul. 19, 2010