Cheap, healthy meals

We just had to make a pretty drastic cut to our budget and I'm looking for cheap, fairly healthy meals. Or should I say...not unhealthy. Our kids aren't super picky. 2 adults, 2 children

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:39 PM on Jul. 19, 2010 in Food & Drink

• Cambell's has tons of quick and relatively inexpensive menu ideas (all involve a can of soup). I like to buy the frozen chicken tenders instead of chicken breasts because A) they cook more quickly B) it's easier to control the portions you want to make.

There's a sage and thyme chicken that I like, some mexicali chicken, etc. Also check out the 4 ingredient cookbooks.
    BuddyRoo

Answer by BuddyRoo at 4:49 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• There is a lady on the food network that does $10 meals. Check her out. She has some really good ideas. Otherwise you are going to get really sick of pasta.
    Lifes-A-Dance

Answer by Lifes-A-Dance at 4:55 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• tonight we're having oven almond chicken. 4 chicken breasts, 1 can cream of chicken, 1 cup sour cream, half a roll of ritz crackers, slithered almonds, butter.

preheat oven to 400 deg. mix sour cream and cream of chicken in a bowl, after putting chicken in pan, cover chicken with the mix. crush crackers and sprinkle over chicken, sprinkle almonds over chicken, then put a dab of butter on each chicken. cook for 30 minutes or until done. serve with mashed potatoes, green beans. yum :)

it may look gross when you first start out, but trust me it's awsome!
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 4:57 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• I have a list of great money saving ideas, and a ton of recipes that are healthy, tasty, family and budget friendly; send me a message offlist if you would like tips and recipes!

Answer by rkoloms at 8:25 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• Red beans and rice , white beans cooked all day with tomatoes and spices of choice ,baked ziti without meat ,stir fry veggies with meat more as a condiment than the central ingredient .Veggie fajitas : toss with a tiny bit of evoo and seasonings you like,grill or bake in oven ,add sliced avocado ,we like Mexican white cheese Asadero and corn tortillas.

drfink

Answer by drfink at 9:36 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• I often go to hillbillyhousewife.com, I use my crockpot a lot because you can get a cheap cut of meat, cook it all day then shred it and it goes much further in sammys or tacos,
    Make a menu then break it down to a detailed grocery list, take no helpers to the store so "extras" don't get put in the cart..
    Do you qualify for food stamps? Find out and if you do then bite the bullet for awhile and accept them, Are your kids under 5 ? if yes then what about WIC?
    Don't forget about the lowly ol' bean. We eat a lot of beans at my house by themselves, or added into meat to extend it.
    Take your big market Sunday paper and start couponing, shop the weekly store circulars get their loss leaders, and make your meals from that.
    I know these are not recipes they're more ideal.
    And lastly, rkoloms has some great menu ideas take her ideas and personalize for your family
    Good Luck - you're not alone we're 4 and spend> $300/mo
    mom2priceboys

Answer by mom2priceboys at 5:45 AM on Jul. 21, 2010