WHAT TO TELL MY DAUGHTER (WHO WILL BE NINE SOON) ABOUT THE BIRDS AND THE BEES WITH OUT TELLING TOO MUCH...YOU KNOW ONLY THE NEED TO KNOW STUFF????

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:40 PM on Jul. 19, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• I got the book "Its not the stork" I really like it. You could read it at barnes and noble before buying it.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 4:41 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• Mention how to respect her body...
    ABusyBee

Answer by ABusyBee at 4:41 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• Be honest and talk to her about her body, and sex. There are good books out there you can buy or borrow from the public library.

Better to talk to her before some other kids does. Better safe than sorry.
    AdrianaS

Answer by AdrianaS at 4:41 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• Answer their questions directly. Only answer the question and don't embellish on it. Don't worry, if you don't tell them, someone else on the playground or a sleepover will. At that age they already like boys and talk about it all the time with their friends. Just flat out ask her if she has any questions. My daughter got her period in 5th grade. Let me tell you, we got the detailed discussions going early too.
    Lifes-A-Dance

Answer by Lifes-A-Dance at 4:42 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• Why does she need to be kept in the dark about some stuff? She needs to know all the facts and what they mean and how things work and why and how to prevent certain things and why she should wait. Because, girls are starting their cycles earlier, kids are telling kids things earlier.... She needs the facts and correct ones before she is grossly misinformed at school. She is not too young to learn all hat. You can do that without explaining positions.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 4:44 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• our bodies ourselves---take a look, pick your topics and go over it with her. This book is a guide for all woman of all ages about ALL sides/topics/angles of it.
    shesahophead

Answer by shesahophead at 4:45 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• i think if youre going to tell her about some u should tell her about all of it dont leave any questions or wondering or anythig like that. keep her informed and educated.
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 4:46 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• I'm sorry, but I think if she's 9, you should already have started this! There is more information and whatnot than I could fit in this little box, but here is a link that will help to get you started...

http://www.webmd.com/sex-relationships/guide/talking-to-your-kids-about-sex

And if she hasn't started her period yet - http://myfirstperiodkit.com/

The MORE information you give her the better! She needs to understand all the how to's, the risks and the benefits as well...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 7:12 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• Here is one more for YOU, that is a MUST check out! If you didn't see this when it aired originally, you can't not watch it now...

http://www.oprah.com/relationships/Talking-to-Your-Kids-About-Sex

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 7:14 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• There's also a good American Girl book on changing bodies. The name escapes me at the moment. Quite a few other moms have said they liked it.

We got going really easily when DD found a tampon in a bag of mine that she decided to use.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 8:10 PM on Jul. 19, 2010