Is it just me, or does anyone else find it inappropriate to discuss their/others' weight at work?

I work with a woman who is CONSTANTLY complaining about her weight, she talks about either being very overweight or about how much she has lost, etc. and quite frankly, I don't care to hear about it. And, it isn't like I'm the only one she talks about it to, she'll tell just about anyone who comes into our office. What do you guys think, ok or inappropriate??

FatGirl239

Asked by FatGirl239 at 4:44 PM on Jul. 19, 2010 in Money & Work

• I think it's pretty inappropriate too. Until very recently, I have struggled with KEEPING weight on due mostly to anxiety. A few of my coworkers have been on diets before and find the need to critique what I'm eating. "Gosh, you eat like a little bird" "Is that ALL you're going to have?" "I sure do wish I was skinny like you."

Really? Good grief.
    BuddyRoo

Answer by BuddyRoo at 4:47 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• Are you crazy? Lol! I don't like to talk about that depressing subject with anyone.
    Lifes-A-Dance

Answer by Lifes-A-Dance at 4:45 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• It can become boring and annoying when all someone does it talk about weight.
    Cochise

Answer by Cochise at 4:45 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• There's a time and place, for sure. I don't think its necessarily inappropriate but if she is not talking about it to the right people it is...

ABusyBee

Answer by ABusyBee at 4:46 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• I think its clearly wrong when they start complaining to you about how gross and fat they are, especially when they are bigger than you, but I've been going to a weightloss center and when people ask how much I've lost and how, I will tell them - ( not that its A TON ) or anything but I am happy about it ! lol!!
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 4:51 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• Well, by all means, mazsmom, if you are excited about losing weight, shout it from the roof top (trust me, I'm losing weight, too!) but I don't discuss things like that with people I work with!!! Its not something I think everyone needs to know. I know I sure as heck don't want to know how much she weighs!!
    FatGirl239

Comment by FatGirl239 (original poster) at 4:54 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• I think it's something that should be kept private. I mean really that is a sour subject for about 65% of the population...
    Dannille33

Answer by Dannille33 at 4:54 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• i dont think its inappropriate at all.
    dont talk to her if u dont wanna hear what she has to say
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 4:55 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• change the subject when she starts talking about it, maybe she'll get the point!
    Ashlynnsmommy07

Answer by Ashlynnsmommy07 at 5:08 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• Hmm..don't know if I would call it innapropriate. But if your tired of her talking about it, maybe try changing the subject everytime she does. I know that I was pretty close to my co-workers when I worked..and we talked about a lot of stuff, including weight issues. She obviously has it on her mind quite often,lol. Change the subject and give her one tracked mind something else to talk about. :)
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 5:10 PM on Jul. 19, 2010