In your opinion, would you want a mosque built two blocks from Ground Zero?

This has become a huge debate in NYC currently. I'm curious as to what you would do in this scenario. Here's a link to more info on it:
http://news.yahoo.com/s/weeklystandard/20100719/cm_weeklystandard/amosquegrowsnearbrooklyn_1

ellagrace

Asked by ellagrace at 4:52 PM on Jul. 19, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I wouldn't want it there and am curious why in the world it needs to be there of all places. It seems designed to stir up controversy which is exactly what it's doing.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 4:55 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• The terrorists who killed people on planes on 9/11 were no more real Muslims than Fred Phelps and his band of idiots are real Christians both are hatefilled people who use religion as an excuse for the vile things they do. Muslims were also innocent victims on 9/11 they worked in the WTC, Pentagon and were on planes. I think being mad at a religion because of 9/11 is wrong and I have no problem with the Mosque. I don't see why so many are in an uproar over this.
    momtolucas2002

Answer by momtolucas2002 at 5:47 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• I have no issues with the community center that is being built.. It's not just a Mosque, it's a community center with a performing arts building, public/community spaces, and a Mosque. There was a mosque in the general area before 9/11. This is just pretty much remodeling/upgrading that's being done. So, I personally see no problem with it.
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 5:04 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• Who cares? Not all Mosque attending Muslims hate us and wanted a plane flown into the buildings killing folks. Why can't they build a Mosque near there? It's not like it is a Hooray for 9/11 day museum.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 5:12 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• No problem whatsoever. It's a place of worship. Too many people think that all Muslims are radicals, and that simply isn't true.
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 5:39 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• i really could care less but i think if its that big of a deal to the people whos familys were killed in 911, then why cant they just put there mosque somewhere else
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 4:53 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• probly not- there are probly plenty other places in that city to build one.
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 5:01 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• I agree with PURPULbutterfly.
    TBandNCmommy

Answer by TBandNCmommy at 5:02 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• Young, don't you know everyone in the world has to run something past Carpy first?
    delilahsmom1177

Answer by delilahsmom1177 at 6:15 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• I would be careful here. You are all assuming two things: Muslims are not American and would not grieve 9/11. And you are assuming that there is something negative about a Mosque in general. Please watch you assumptions on this, there was a very negative post on this a few days ago.
    stacymomof2

Answer by stacymomof2 at 5:07 PM on Jul. 19, 2010