smoking during nursing

i used to smoke occasionally or sometimes even regularly before i got pregnant. but the day i conceived i havent smoked a cigarette. ok i know this is a stupid question, but is smoking as harmful during breastfeeding as it is during pregnancy. OFCOURSE IM NOT going to start puffing away infront of my baby, but i was thinking maybe once in a while when at my friend's place. does nicotine and other harmful things go in my baby as well while he is breastfeeding ?? no bashing please.. just a concerned so thats y im asking here

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:58 PM on Jul. 19, 2010 in Pregnancy

• First off, congratulations on quitting for pregnancy!! That is awesome and you should be very proud of yourself. :)
    As for your question, it is not as harmful, but it definitly still has its effects. And you DO NOT need to switch to formula, nor should you if you smoke.
    However, I would really encourage you to ask yourself why it is so important to you. There are a lot of other things that are relaxing and social, and that first puff could end up setting you up on a course straight back to full blown addiction. Being a mother is very demaning, and draining emotionally and physically. Learning to deal with these things in a healthy way, rather then smoking, will not only benefit your baby and breaskmilk, but it will make you a healthier person overall. Don't just quit for pregnancy, quit for yourself too. You deserve it! Now go find a support group and make some friends that don't smoke. :) I have a lot of hope for you! :)
    squish

Answer by squish at 5:22 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• I believe it does. The smoke also clings to your clothes, skin & hair so the baby will be inhaling some smoke still.
    Ashlynnsmommy07

Answer by Ashlynnsmommy07 at 4:59 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• Yes its still harmful. Not to mention it will be on your clothes while little baby is nose deep in your chest. I would not recommend it. But, I think smoking is bad for everyone, even people without kids. You have already stopped don't start again, you will regret it later when you can't stop again. Good Luck!
    LucasMama08

Answer by LucasMama08 at 5:00 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• DONT SMOKE
    its harmful to your child, it will be worth putting them away till you decide to not nurse anymore, dont put you baby at risk for some craving
    If you refuse to quit smoking do your baby a favor and FF, that will be better then nicotine filled breast milk
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 5:10 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• DO NOT SMOKE. PERIOD. not good for you or the BABY!
    AdrianaS

Answer by AdrianaS at 4:58 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• Well smoking will pass the toxic chemicals through the milk so I vote not to smoke especially since it also clings to your clothes and stuff too, but if you must then breastfeeding and smoking is still better then formula, but not smoking and breastfeeding is the best.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 5:31 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• While smoking is never recommended and can harm your baby, research shows that breastmilk with cigarette contents in it is better than no breastmilk at all...
    carsonsmommytam

Answer by carsonsmommytam at 6:14 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• Please find a better way to relax and enjoy yourself. Not only is there the danger of second and third-hand smoke (third-hand is the smoke that lingers in your clothes and hair when you're done smoking) but it's really bad for you as well. Your child will appreciate your choice to avoid emphysema and lung cancer.
    degsyuna

Answer by degsyuna at 11:01 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• and no nicotine breastmilk is still better than formula....ask a damn doctor.
    shesahophead

Answer by shesahophead at 5:14 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• if you're going to smoke, it's still much better to smoke and bf than to give formula and still smoke.
    mommytobobby

Answer by mommytobobby at 9:43 PM on Jul. 19, 2010