Whats a good christian

My question is that I hear that many people say that they become born again christian. My baby's father is a christian and he attends service twice a week. Went to disciple class and everything. When he found out that I was expecting he turned his back on me. Told me that he was not ready for this situation. He thought and wish it was a dream so that he can wake up and it be all gone. He told me that he does not see himself being a father again looking at his schedule. He told me that he hopes that it will not be a long 18-21 years of life for him to be free. He told me that if he would have not walked out on me if I would have comply with his wishes. I asked him how can you ask someone to terminate a blessing from your father. My question is what kind of christian does and say the things he said to me. Because of his actions and his religion. I consider christian to be the most hypocritical individuals I've met.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:00 PM on Oct. 1, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• Not everyone who says they're a "christian" is the way your boyfriend is. I am so sorry this happened to you and my heart goes out to you. Please know there are wonderful people who are Christians who show the love of Christ and do not act the way some Christians do. Although he walked out on you, you're right... your baby is a gift. I'm a single mother and everyday I thank God for my son... He's 20 now and it wasn't easy being a single parent and going to church (I haven't always been a Christian). If you ever need some encouragement....feel free to contact me. I'll be praying God will send some positive, encouraging Christians (true Christ followers) into your life.
    bonn777

Answer by bonn777 at 7:08 PM on Oct. 1, 2008

• Not your husband. If he wasn't ready for this that is a conversation he should have initaited before you two had relations. There is such a thing as birth control. If he wants his freedom so bad I say let him have it, but he's still going to be financially responsible for that child. Marriage Conselling if you think this can be fixed or saved. Men like that irritate me to no end so I'm sorry if any of this comes across too harsh. A true christian would not make such a demand to the woman he loves.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 7:21 PM on Oct. 1, 2008

• I want to echo what the above poster said - too many who call themselves Christians and do not emulate Jesus give those who really do and strive to be the best that God can make them too be, a bad rap. I am so sorry this happened and caused pain in your life. Smiles and hugs to you and yours.
    irishcoffee

Answer by irishcoffee at 7:23 PM on Oct. 1, 2008

• I've started distinguishing between Christians (people who believe in Jesus as their savior) and those who are Followers of Christ (believe in Christ AND follow his teachings and emulate them).
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 7:42 PM on Oct. 1, 2008

• KristiS11384 - I like that.
    bonn777

Answer by bonn777 at 7:46 PM on Oct. 1, 2008

• I think it works well. This way if you call someone a Christian you are merely saying they believe in Christ as their savior. They may or may not be a follower of Christ but that distinction is left undetermined until their character is better known. Where as a Follower of Christ you have seen proof that they emulate Christ's teachings through their words and actions.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 7:58 PM on Oct. 1, 2008

• I'm so sorry this happened...By their actions you will know they are followers and mature christians. :)

Lord,
    I thank you for being Almighty and truly good. Thank you for being patient with us when we don't understand when people claim to know you and yet don't follow Christ's example. I know it makes you mad too. One day he will give account to you. Help this lady raise her child in the way that pleases you. Bless her with understanding of how to be a good follower of Christ and not to be so downcast. For you are calling her to know you better and develope a personal relationship with you. Surrond her with people that will encourage her. You alone are God and righteous..the father of the fatherless...In Jesus name I pray AMEN!.
    JCRestoredme

Answer by JCRestoredme at 8:09 PM on Oct. 1, 2008

• In our church they teach that a Christian is a person that has faith in God, believes that Jesus died for their sins, and lives according to the word of God. To live righteously and live for God.

4Nalon

Answer by 4Nalon at 8:13 PM on Oct. 1, 2008

• not all of us are hypocrites! :) its jack asses like hiim that give christianity a bad name. and no nothing he is saying or doing is supported by the beliefs of christianity. there are those who get wrapped up in the routine of it but don't stop and take the time to really talk to god. god can do amazing things when you let him but people do things that are STUPID and hide behind religion. I am a christian and a single mom. i have made many mistakes in my life but i have turned my lfe back over to god and he has gotten me a long way! don't let one jerk ruin it for you!
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 8:36 PM on Oct. 1, 2008

• There is a few reasons that his response to the situation was so harsh. 1ST he may have responded out of fear of responsibility. 2nd spiritually he is still a babe in Christ which means he has not matured on the things that would help us make the right decision. Gain a relationship for your self be that example that you may not see in him or other people that's around you.God wants all of us every room of our heart so you might as well submit to Him now then the hard long road way.Be strong for you and your blessed seed and let God demonstrate who He wants you to be.(Dedicated to His will)
    lareashiaj

Answer by lareashiaj at 8:59 PM on Oct. 1, 2008