2 year old's hair- cut out the rats nest?

My DD got her first hair cut last Oct. It has been trimmed a few tims since then and is now shoulder length in the back and by the ears- no bangs but the front is not yet even with the rest. She has this patch of hair on the back of her head that ALWAYS looks ratty. I was considering layering what little hair she has to eliminate this patch. When I say always I mean even with some conditioning spray. I think it just need cut and to start over but with it being right at her crown I can't just shave it! lol. What do you think. Live with it until it gets a little longer or have it cut into baby layers. She does have some 'new' hair growing in under it so it's long short long when you really look at it good with a comb. It's also slightly wavy. It curls up more when she sweats or goes swimming.

But_Mommie

Asked by But_Mommie at 5:23 PM on Jul. 19, 2010 in General Parenting

• Oh gosh,, hairstylist here,, it will continue to rat up down to the root,,, is she super tender headed? I would slather conditioner on it and try my best to get it out,, if not go ahead and cut it,, that is what they make those cute head bands for,, lol,, good luck mamma, just take a big comb, and be patient,, a glass of wine (for you) not her might help!!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 5:28 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• It's only hair, it'll grow back! Cut it out and save the tears that come with trying to constantly brush that out!
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 5:24 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• i wouldnt do that, id brush it out and use some good product or something, but its your daughter.
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 5:25 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• I would let it grow out. You never know...once you cut it, you may be right back in the same boat.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 5:29 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• wait~comb it out...start at the bottom of the hair, hold the top the best you can so it won't hurt, and comb going up and up until you get to the rat and start at the bottom of it and brush on it~it will come out..slow and sure and with some good hair conditioner.

my dd has the hair of 4 people~She has rats I should get to~it didn't help to under cut her hair at the neck on my dd~pony tails have been horrible with bangs in the back~
    surfcitymom

Answer by surfcitymom at 5:32 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• I can get the knots out but it still looks crinkly ratty, I put conditioner in it and then it looks like wet crinkly ratty, It's just this one spot! I should post a pic! It looks like when someone colors their hair to much and it dries out and looks like horse hair. lol. Still to short in the front and around the edges for pony tails. :0(
    But_Mommie

Comment by But_Mommie (original poster) at 5:38 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• Im not sure if cutting it will solve the problem. My son hair is like that too and i cut it in layers and it still didnt fix it. I spray leave in conditioner and brush it with a comb and it works for me but if i dont do that its a big frizz ball :)
    DilsMommy

Answer by DilsMommy at 5:50 PM on Jul. 19, 2010