Panic attack? I am so humiliated,, if anyone has experienced this please help!!

Okay, I will admit that my family and esp. me have been under stress,ALOT of it lately,, I was out working on Friday and all of the sudden my heart started racing and I couldn't breathe,, I thought maybe I had just got over heated or something, left my territory (outside sales) and came home, it went on and on, called my hubby and went to the hospital, the said no heart problem, just a panic attack, like it was no big deal,, any hoo, I am really not into the medicine thing, but can feel it coming on again!! Do these get worse, what did you do for help? Thanks mammas! Hubby says suck it up!

kimigogo

Asked by kimigogo at 5:25 PM on Jul. 19, 2010 in Health

• I have had these and I did have to medicate for them. I'm not a fan of medication either but usually it is something you can take when one is coming on to stop it. So at least it isn't an all the time thing just a when absolutely necessary thing. If they are starting to effect you often you may need to go that route until you learn a new way to handle them. Deep breathing, meditation, exercise etc... Hope you find something that works they are really awful!
    TerrahR

Answer by TerrahR at 5:31 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• I had panic attacks after my husband's death. When you feel it coming on, just sit down and try to breathe through it. Give yourself a lot of positive self talk, remind yourself that you know what it is (I know it can feel just like you're going to die, but you're not). You'll be ok.
    I don't have them any more, haven't had one in several years now. Just because you're experiencing them now doesn't mean you always will.
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 5:30 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• First, don't feel bad. It's not your fault. Some doctors brush them off, but they're just not familiar with them. Keep paper bags with you. The simple brown lunch bags work great. When you feel it coming on, put the bag over your mouth and breath normaly into it. Count your breaths. Focus on the number, it's calming. If a bag is unavailiable, just cup your hands on your mouth and breath. Do this for a couple minutes.
    It feels like you can't breath, but you really breathe too much and not deep enough. Good luck!
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 5:35 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• I had these when I was under extreme stress. I talked with a friend that worked at a hospital and she told me to regulate my breathing and sit on the side of bed with my head between my knees.
    Panic attacks are extremely scary.
    Maybe to de-stress you can try to go for a walk/run or do some yoga at home or something.
    GL Momma
    NOLAmommaKRYS

Answer by NOLAmommaKRYS at 5:34 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• You need to de-stress or they will continue to get worse. They can give you meds for them but they 'wash' you out and make you feel zombie-like. also, once you feel them start to come on, it's almost self-destructive because you stress more cause you know it's coming.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 5:32 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• I had a very close friend who suffered from these badly. She went to a doctor who told her to cut out white flour, white sugar and start eating healthy. She did, and she never had another one! She was also under a TON of stress, but eating right helped out too!
    TimandMely4ever

Answer by TimandMely4ever at 5:34 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• Long slow deep breaths
    kc932

Answer by kc932 at 5:49 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• I had a couple of them within a week but that has been 7 years and I haven't had one since. I am not sure how they "come on" but I have been under alot of stress lately more even than when I had my other 2 panic attacks. I hope I never have to go through that again.
    reesemom

Answer by reesemom at 6:15 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• exercise
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 6:17 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• Anxiety (and migraines) is often caused by a magnesium deficiency. I take a cal/mag/D daily.
    There is a wonderful book on dealing with anxiety called No More Panic by Claire Weeks; you should be able to find it at your local library
    Therapy can help you learn how to deal with emotional triggers for your attacks.

Answer by rkoloms at 7:40 PM on Jul. 19, 2010