What do you think of beggers? ..not point beggers

people who stand on street corners holding signs that say "homeless" or "need food" ..I saw a guy today (in this 95 degree weather) standing holding a sign that said "need work"..i did feel kinda sorry for the man but this guy was surrounded by shopping outlets. In the time he was standing out in that heat he could've been putting in job apps! I just don't get it. So i want to know what do you think of people that do this and have you ever given to someone thats done this? And i didnt know where to put this except for beliefs..sorry.

shay1130

Asked by shay1130 at 5:54 PM on Jul. 19, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• a lot of places around here wont hire you unless you can give them an address (a real one not down by the river tent 14) but i still dont feel sorry for these people. i saw one a couple nights ago sitting outside the liquor store begging for change. ya right!
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 5:57 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• it depends what day of the month it is~lots of good people are broke with a week left to get thru. If I have 5 dollar bills I pass them out when it seems right and I have bills paid and food bought.
    surfcitymom

Answer by surfcitymom at 5:57 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• I've given to people that have signs stating that they need work. I can respect that more than someone just standing there asking for money. The hard part is that if they're homeless, they won't have an address to put on an application, so it can be difficult for them to get started on the right foot.
    nicolemstacy

Answer by nicolemstacy at 5:58 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• I have given to people a few times. But I agree with you. They should be trying to get a job. The worst I ever saw was in Wash. DC where women would have their little bitty kids begging with them. That's just not right. I don't like feeling manipulated by sad-eyed little children being used for their parents needs. Some folks are not mentally fit for holding down a job. Some are addicts of one sort or another. So not everyone is going to do well with the "get a job" idea. I feel that if people are willing to give to them, then it is okay for them to beg. Most are very appreciative of anything they get.
    collier5

Answer by collier5 at 6:01 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• I give to some. Others I haven't. It really depends on the vibe I get from them. And how their eyes are. If I feel they're sincere, I help. I've given more items than anything, and food.
    SimplyMadness

Answer by SimplyMadness at 6:01 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• how do you know he hasnt filled job app.s? You know that it is so hard right now for anyone to get a job...now lets say 2 people apply for a job one is a well educated person and the other is a homeless person. Now honest who do you think will get the job? as messed up as it sounds the well educated will get it in a second before the homeless guy, who is trying to change his life. You dont know this guys story, we all make mistakes some make bigger ones then other but who are we to judge? Maybe the money you give them they will buy beer with or maybe they are trying to get there lifes together? who knows, only God and God would want us to help the needy no matter what! I know thats way easier said then done.
    DilsMommy

Answer by DilsMommy at 6:04 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• – collapse
    THOSE GUYS USE THAT MONEY THAT PEOPLE GIVE THEM ON DRUGS AND BEER INSTEAD OF USEING IT FOR GETING THEM A PLACE TO LIVE OR SOME THING ! MOST OF THE SO CALL HOMELESS GET A S.S. CHECK EACH MOUNTH AND THEY JUST WANT TO USE IT ALL FOR BEER AND DRUGS !
    lightbulbe

Answer by lightbulbe at 6:11 PM on Jul. 19, 2010 (hidden) + expand

• I feel bad for them, I think a lot have mental illness that keeps them from holding down a job, or an addiction that has control over their lives.I really don't think the ones out there begging for money really even want to do that...I haven't lived their life so...who knows what has happened to them. I just don't think they chose that life.
    Cochise

Answer by Cochise at 6:12 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• if im not going to give i wont but if money is in reach i gve it to them i dont complain about i usually spend about the same or more on junk food or something like that i really dont try and figure out what theyneed it for whatever its for i gave it out the kindness of my hearti dont pay the signs any attention i just hope and pray that i never have to live on the streets or stand and ask for change and if i ever had to i would hope and pray that someone would give me something no matter what they think its for or what they think of me
    1LovelyAngel

Answer by 1LovelyAngel at 6:13 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• I do not give money but will go into store and buy food, non-cook food, stop in McDonalds or other fast food and get a value meal and if it is cold out might even buy some warm clothes such as gloves, hat, or pick up a cheap sleeping bag or blanket. I almost always have water in the car and will give it along with the food. I am sure I have been ripped off but am just as sure that one or more of these people are just down on there luck and need a helping hand. I feel better afterward.
    higherboundmom

Answer by higherboundmom at 6:14 PM on Jul. 19, 2010