Do you view a degree differently if it is obtained online?

I am going back to college in the spring and the best option would be to go to school online. I am just a little concerned that maybe online degrees are looked down upon. What are your opinions?

MsHouseWife

Asked by MsHouseWife at 6:06 PM on Jul. 19, 2010 in Money & Work

• It depends on the school. I would stick to classes at a non-profit, regionally accredited college or university. I have heard several hiring managers say that they do not view a University of Phoenix degree as highly as they do a degree from a traditional university, but I don't know if that's the general belief. Many traditional universities now offer online degrees, and they are probably less expensive that University of Phoenix.
    andrea96

Answer by andrea96 at 10:34 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• Stay away from for-profit schools. They exist, by law, to make money for their owners/shareholders; education is not their priority. When I was in HR, I did not interview candidates from the for-profit schools.

Start with a community college; they will likely have many classes on line and the credits will easily transfer to a state university.

Have a couple of informational interviews with people in your chosen field to help you determine whether or not this is the right career choice for you. Check to see if there are open jobs in this field, too.

Answer by rkoloms at 7:14 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• It depends on where you go to school. Some employers view for profit schools like University of Phoenix as nothing more than a diploma mill. Yet Liberty University is a highly respected college (yes they have an online program). This is why I choose Liberty...that and my diploma just says Liberty University and says nothing about whether my classes were online or not.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 6:12 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• I hope not, that is how I am getting mine.
    Codysmom2106

Answer by Codysmom2106 at 6:10 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• I think it depends on the program. I've heard a lot of IT people say you are better off going through the certificate courses that program vendors offer than getting an online degree. The accreditation is different than, say, a state-sponsored university and there is a stigma that you are just buying a degree.
    lvpenguino

Answer by lvpenguino at 6:28 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• Absolutely.
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 6:12 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• Bump!
    Honestbest

Answer by Honestbest at 6:12 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• I think that online degrees work well in some areas. Some times it is better to be in a classroom enviornment that just be infront of the computer. Online degrees have given many people the option to continue thier education on their time. This has been wonderful for so many working moms who have little to no time to go to a classroom. Online classes require a significant amount of discipline I took an online course and myself putting off assignment until the last minute. Online degrees require a great deal of discipline and determination and it sound like you have that and will do well.
    lawmom27

Answer by lawmom27 at 6:32 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• My husband works for a University and is getting his MBA through them. He has been doing online classes. I think the big concern is WHERE it came from. There are plenty out there that are viewed as diploma mills. But Most universities offer online courses. You can pick one close to you in case you want to try a couple of in class courses. My hubby just switched to in-class because he feels he gets more out of it that way. With the online there is no actual class time so he was just figuring things out on his own, not being taught anything.
    SoniaL

Answer by SoniaL at 6:52 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• I think schools like the University of Phoenix are a joke.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 9:51 PM on Jul. 19, 2010