Need advice for 13 month old who is barely napping...

She slept for less than an hour today....I put her down around 1130am - if she only sleeps for an hour should i let her cry until she falls back to sleep? She definitely seemed tired when she woke up but she seems to be on a nap strike lately!! Any advice moms?? Thanks :)

stepmom929

Asked by stepmom929 at 6:25 PM on Jul. 19, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• my 14 month old son is the same way latley. the only time he takes a good nap & goes easily is if were driving in the car. i never put him in his crib & let him cry though.. like today, he wouldnt go to sleep, i tried with a bottle & shit, so i just let him walk, crawl & roll around the floor until he passed out on top of a pillow on the floor & napped there for like 2 hours, lol.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 6:27 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• She will sleep in the car and I got into the habit of always taking her for a ride to fall asleep and then just bringing her inside in her carseat and letting her sleep there (she's still in the carrier)..t I'm trying to get out of that habit but she doesn't seem to be sleeping enough now.....
    stepmom929

Comment by stepmom929 (original poster) at 6:29 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• You could put her in a stroller and take her for a stroll to get her back to sleep. Sometimes even a car ride with soft music will be enough to put a baby that is fighting sleep back to sleep.
    CafeMochaMom1

Answer by CafeMochaMom1 at 6:30 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• my dd at that age was only taking 1 nap a day and maybe 1- 1 1/2 hrs only now at 19 months only 45-1hr, its not 2 uncommon for them to start taking shorter naps if she gets a good 12 hrs of sleep at night
    oppsdiditagain

Answer by oppsdiditagain at 6:31 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• yeah, she sleeps for 12 hours at night so maybe she just doesn't need more sleep.........
    stepmom929

Comment by stepmom929 (original poster) at 6:35 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• my second did this. Needed very little sleep and still doesn't.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 6:35 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• Scheduling a nap is important. When your child knows its time to take a nap they are more at ease and can fall asleep on thier own without needing to get into a car. If you continue to do that, they expect it and unless you continue it they will cry. Toddlers like to know what to expect in their day. They become uneasy when there is a detour in the day. Having a regular regimine is important. An hour nap is usually ok for a child that sleeps through the night. The important thing is to be consistent.
    lawmom27

Answer by lawmom27 at 6:39 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• My daughter went through the same thing, everyone told me have her on a sched have her on a sched. well we are always on the go and i dont want a kid who screams because its 1 and shes not sleeping. she just went through a spurt of not napping and just talking or crying. i would let her be down for an hour to at least rest and if she woke up sooner i would get her up. She sleeps really well at night too so i dont worry too much if she doesnt get a nap. if she isnt being rotten i wouldnt really worry too much because she is getting good sleep at night!
    babymaddy

Answer by babymaddy at 7:03 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• I bet at 1130 she's not tired yet my ds doesn't nap till 2 or 3 even though he gets cranky at nap time I put him down and just leave him to sleep or play in his crib I always play a cd with soothing music to help.
    ArmyWife112908

Answer by ArmyWife112908 at 8:20 PM on Jul. 19, 2010