1998 Ford Expedition?

anyone own one?
We are maybe thinking of buying one for a third vechile and for the 4 wheel drive.
it has 170,000 miles, no rust ((Came from NC only in our wintery state for 1 season)), new tires
Needs Manafold, don't ask I have no clue what that is. My BIL is a machic so he can fix that stuff.
how much would you pay for it? The person got offered $1200 for a trade in, but refused and said he'll do a personal sale though. I was thinking maybe $2000? book vauled at $2400 and it is 12 yrs old and need some work (manafold and exhaust))

r00j04j08

Asked by r00j04j08 at 6:53 PM on Jul. 19, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I would stay away from ford SUVs. Trucks are great but the 90s SUV and cars can be trouble. My brother in law owns a tranny shop and sees these and this year imparticular in a lot. To be honest, you'll probably run into a ton of problems....and end up spending way more than you paid for it.
    CassiRae3

Answer by CassiRae3 at 6:55 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• Also, another red flag is the high mileage. Those SUVs don't do so well when you start hitting high numbers. If you do still decide you want to buy it, I think $2,000 is a fair price, but again, just plan on putting some money into it.
    CassiRae3

Answer by CassiRae3 at 7:01 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• You may find useful information here: www.kbb.com

Answer by rkoloms at 6:58 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• Thanks, I was looking for more info so keep it coming ladies.. I know about kbb, I know the value I want the relieablity.
    r00j04j08

Comment by r00j04j08 (original poster) at 7:07 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• I don't know if you've already purchased the car, but this model is before they redesigned the rear suspension/drive train. (They were rolling over when a blow out occurred). But I drive an SUV with 260K and it does well. But we've done proper maintenance and oil changes.
    Austinsmom35

Answer by Austinsmom35 at 10:00 PM on Jul. 19, 2010