16 month old screaming bloody murder

I have my living room and 16 month old son's bedroom baby proofed and the rest is blocked off by baby gates so he can't get in unless I carry him. My kitchen and living room are right next to each other so I let him play in the living room while I'm cooking dinner. Recently, whenever I go in the kitchen, my son screams like he is dying if he doesn't get to go with me. I don't like him in the kitchen while I'm cooking for obvious reasons. What should I do to get him to relax whenever I have to walk into a different room from him? It stresses me out and it's not like he can't see me...I am always in sight. Any suggestions???

CassiRae3

Asked by CassiRae3 at 6:53 PM on Jul. 19, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Put a show on for him.
    GinNTonic

Answer by GinNTonic at 6:55 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• He's learned that if he screams when you walk away you will come right back. If you keep doing this he will contiue to scream. I would sit down and talk to him..yes a 16 month old understands quite a bit....tell him you have to do something and you will be right back. Give your child something to entertain themself. A kids show or a special toy to keep them occupied while you neeed to do household stuff. '
    lawmom27

Answer by lawmom27 at 6:56 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• put him in a seat and put him in there with you if that sooths him, then he will keep himself content and you can cook dinner. he is prob just wanting a little more mommy time! or put him in his high chair and give him some fruit to munch on! try not to stress i know its easier said then done, but he can tell when your stressed and it stresses him out more!
    babymaddy

Answer by babymaddy at 6:56 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• Give him something to nibble on like a toddler cookie or something. Or sit him in a high chair with a cookie or snack and position the high chair so he can see you cooking dinner.
    CafeMochaMom1

Answer by CafeMochaMom1 at 6:57 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• Thats the thing, his show is on....and I do walk away and continue to cook dinner (has to get done!) and he ends up crying the entire time and could care less about his favorite show or toy.
    CassiRae3

Comment by CassiRae3 (original poster) at 6:57 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• Oh putting him in his chair and having something to munch on is a really good idea. Thank you, I think I'm going to give that one a try.
    CassiRae3

Comment by CassiRae3 (original poster) at 6:59 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• My daughter did that. I played peek-a-boo with her for a few days every time I left the room. She got bored with it and eventually just stopped caring when I left the room. Hope this helps!
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 9:00 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• My son does this too...he just wants to be in the same room as you is all it is. Even if he can still see you, breaks his heart. I put my son in his high chair if he is like that and it calms him down...and give him a lil snack while dinner is cooking. Doesn't always work to put him in the high chair but it helps most of the time
    leann74016

Answer by leann74016 at 11:27 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• My 16 month old daughter comes in the kitchen with me. Kitchen time for her is enrichment time. She "helps" me count out scoops, just pulls out a bunch of pots and (safe) utensils and goes to town, or just sits on my hip and watches what I'm doing. The cabinets she has no business in are baby-proofed, and the ones she can open have containers and other cooking things she can play with. Perhaps by creating a safe environment in the kitchen, you can allow him to see what you're doing and then he'll eventually wander out into the living room when he's comfortable with Mommy's whereabouts.
    redmoonintexas

Answer by redmoonintexas at 12:51 AM on Jul. 20, 2010

• My 16 month old screams too, I have gotten to the point where I just have to let him sometimes. he has to learn that its ok to be away from me while I'm doing something. If I continue to pick him whenever he wants he'll continue to do it for a long time. Its rough, but part of parenting.
    cthrush82

Answer by cthrush82 at 1:40 PM on Jul. 20, 2010