Flea's in Cats?

Ladies.
I really need your help I have an older kitty, that I have noticed has Fleas. I put Flea powder on her, and she's still scratching. I know that I am in for a serious cleaning (I have 6 cats in here, meaning I know that I am gonna have a flea day with them)
What can I do? Something easy that doesn't cost alot of money. I've been brushing Lucky daily.
I did the wet towel trick to her last night, to see how bad it was. It's driving me nuts. I just want her to have some relief.
Also one of my other cats has like scabs everywhere, do you know what that might be, and what I can do?
Thanks ladies.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:01 PM on Jul. 19, 2010 in Pets

• Honestly they need to get to the vet. If one of them eats a flea they can get tapeworm. If you start seeing little sesame seed looking things around, they've got tapeworm
    hornz102485

Answer by hornz102485 at 7:04 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• Get a good flea shampoo, bathe all 6 cats. Then use flea drops and put the drops on the cats. Then clean the house thoroughly. That's what we did when got fleas and it took a couple days for all of the fleas to clear up. As far as the scabs, you can wait and see if they clear up on their own with the flea treatments or bring her into a vet.
    kuriequinn

Answer by kuriequinn at 7:05 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• Sounds like she is allergic to the fleas.

I would say do a nice flea bath, then put a flea collar in your vacuum cleaner if it is bagless..

Then go to the vet and get some advantage. I know it's pricey but you have to have some medicine on the cat.

The Flea shampoo will only work for 14 days. And then they will come back. There are flea eggs in your carpet as well and
    though the vacuum with the collar in it will kill them when they are sucked up it wont help the ones not hatched.

I went through the same thing and the store products for flea meds don't work ... if you want more advice ask your vet but
    you will need advantage or frontline. You can get advantage at some farm and tractor stores for cheaper then vets. :)

I hope this helps.
    Dannille33

Answer by Dannille33 at 7:12 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• you should bathe them really good and get them to a vet to make sure its not bad....also once they are out of the house bomb your house with those flea bombs.....you will have to put the cats somewhere for the day and yourself and any other animals that you have....also DONT LET THEM OUTSIDE ONCE THEY ARE IN....We have 3 cats and no one of them has fleas
    branmomma32

Answer by branmomma32 at 7:15 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• You can do the flea bath with the shampoo, but sometimes you end up with fleas that are immune to the shampoo- SuperFleas. Not to mention you have to shampoo often and cats dont like getting work.
    The best thing that worked for us was Advantage from 1800petmeds.com . It is about $50 for 4 doses (1 a month), which equals out to just over $12 a month. Its pricey up front, but works AMAZING! It was the only thing that got rid of our horrible flea infestation. Plus, if you search on google for 1800petmeds.com coupons, you can type in a promo code and save an additional $5, and they always have fast free shipping. I know I sound like a commercial, but their services are excellent. Best of luck.
    serioussifL

Answer by serioussifL at 7:17 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• I buy my cat these flea drop from this website called Thrifty Vet and it is the same stuff you get from the vet and 1/2 of the price. For one cat it would cost you about $5 or so a month. The more you buy at once the more $$$ you save and it works wonderfully. We had fleas really bad in our house and they were biting us too. We bought the flea drops off that website called Advantage and fleas started dissappearing from our house.
    reesemom

Answer by reesemom at 8:08 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• sorry let me clarify the website is thriftyvet.com and the flea drops are called Advantage. You get 4 tubes for a little over $20.
    reesemom

Answer by reesemom at 8:10 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• see other flea post. You can't just treat the animals. You have to treat the whole home and on a set schedule.
    BuddyRoo

Answer by BuddyRoo at 8:17 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• Over the counter flea medication is deadly for animals (google FDA Flea medication Warnings). Advantage is very good. I get the big dog tubes which cost the same as for a small cat and then break it down for each of my cats. (I have 13) You can not do this with all flea medication but if you'd like the break down of how much to pull up in a syringe and apply, message me and I can get you the info.

Vacuum well and often for a while so that you can suck up any new fleas that are coming around. You need to do this for the entire lifecycle of possible new fleas coming up to be hatched.

here is a good site I found that explains the life cycle and length. http://www.pest-control-supplies.com/flea_life_cycle.htm

Even with indoor only cats (like mine) you may get fleas. They jump on our shoes/pants/etc while we are outside.

ferocity302

Answer by ferocity302 at 10:37 AM on Aug. 1, 2010