Can military families do foster care?

We wanted to adopt until we seen the prices to do it and we cann not afford it. I heard that foster care is easier to manage on adoptions if the child is available for it.

AshleyC2007

Asked by AshleyC2007 at 7:12 PM on Jul. 19, 2010 in Adoption

• I would think agencie would be leary because of the possibility of you moving.
    GinNTonic

Answer by GinNTonic at 7:13 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• I would hope not ... one of the main goals of the foster care system is to provide stability for children who badly need it.
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 7:14 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• I know a family that is "military". Husband is military, wife is a SAHM and they do foster care.
    SAHMinIL2

Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 7:20 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• I don't see why not. (The word is LEERY.)
    But,if the family is healthy and the marriage is good and they can get recomendations and pass the home visits, I am sure they could be foster parents.
    Many people move often now days. And they adopt or they accept Foster children into their home all the time. They don't just settle down in Podunk and live there for 80 years. LOL.People in civilian life are transfered by their companies every few years. People who want a promotion and a raise agree to transfer to another branch of a company out of state all the time.Sometimes they move more often than Military families.
    Good luck!!!
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 7:20 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• Thank you spelling nazi.
    GinNTonic

Answer by GinNTonic at 7:21 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• @aliceinalgonac

military families have stability, they can request stabilization and if there is a situation like this 9 times out of 10 the military will work with them. My husband and I have been in one place for 4 years, have a child, and our home is perfectly stable. More so than a lot of "civilian" homes I've seen.
    ArmyWifeAshlie

Answer by ArmyWifeAshlie at 7:27 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• Not sure, but I hope not too!
    justnancyb

Answer by justnancyb at 7:49 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• Wow! Some people are quite undereducated about military moving. Very few foster children have any kind of stabilization in their lives... At least with a military family they would have everything they need. If you live on base, I don't know who you would contact. But, if you don't contact your local Department of Family and Children's Services and tell them your interested in foster parenting. If your still wanting to adopt then tell them your interested in children that are legally free for adoption.

matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 8:00 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• WOW!!!!!! is right
    We are a military family and have successfully adopted through foster care!! Ask your family support or family advocacy center for information. We lived in AZ at the time and even PCS'ed to another country before the adoption was final... my dh went ahead and I stayed to finalize everything... I have known at least 3 other military families that have fostered and adopted through the foster care system. Nobody was leery of our military affiliation.... in fact some CW looked at it as a positive..... and we have a very stable life...
    chiana

Answer by chiana at 8:47 AM on Jul. 20, 2010

• In our classes they said if you were military, you want to plan to be there for about a year. Only because of the training and home inspections. Other than that, they didn't have problems with military families. In other words, they didn't want people to go through all the training and everything if the family knew they were being transferred in 6 mo to a year.
    yo_ho

Answer by yo_ho at 2:00 AM on Jul. 21, 2010