How do I clean the cushions on my cloth couch?

They have a lot of... grime from the 3 yr old and now the 1 month old is spitting up drooling on them. I would really really like them to look clean!

ethans_momma06

Asked by ethans_momma06 at 7:18 PM on Jul. 19, 2010 in Home & Garden

• Can they come off? If they can come off you can just take them off the cushion and throw them in the wash. That's what I did. And mine had crap from my parents dogs. It's an old couch though.
    GinNTonic

Answer by GinNTonic at 7:20 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• if they can't you can always get one of those couch covers and just put it on when your kids are up and take it off when they're in bed or something.
    GinNTonic

• I was just going to suggest that GinNTonic or just hire someone that cleans upholstery. GL
    Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 7:22 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• Rent a steam cleaner from your grocery store.
    onethentwins

Answer by onethentwins at 7:23 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• The covers on my couch zip right off...we wash them on gentle for about ten minutes, and let them air dry.
    motherofpearls

Answer by motherofpearls at 7:24 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• There are upholstery cleaner that you spray on and either wipe off or vacuum off. Or rent a carpet cleaner. Most carpet cleaner will clean furniture as well.
    kuriequinn

Answer by kuriequinn at 7:26 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• I have washed the cushion covers on my couches before in cold water hang to dry. You can also use a carpet cleaner that has the upholstery attachment to it. SInce my kids have been born I have always keep some kind of cover on the furniture to keep it clean something that can wash easy. an old blanket, comforter etc. when dirty I toss in washer, when guests come over I can just whip it off and ta da clean furniture and it looks like I work so hard......lol
    justgrape723

Answer by justgrape723 at 7:39 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• I would hire a professional to clean it, then use a slipcover on it. Removing the cushion covers and washing them is possible, but unless you're a fabric expert, you have no way of knowing if the colors might fade in the wash, therefore causing it to look different from the rest of the sofa, or if they might shrink a bit, making it impossible to put them back on without them looking lumpy and deformed.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 10:09 AM on Jul. 20, 2010