How does this happen?

My dh and I have been walking 2 miles everyday ( I mean there might be 2 or 3 days off within the month since we started) we have been walking for 1 month and a half now and we have seen a small change but hey we are not going to get discouraged. One day we just decided to make this change we always talked about it and never did anything. But this time I can see it in his eyes that he is eager to do this so that gives me the incentive to do it even our kids are into it (ages 7 & 9). My question is why on the scale my dh lost 10 lbs and me it only shows 5lbs. :(??? We do the same thing we eat the same thing we both drink lots of water but yet he drinks those energy drinks and he loses more than me I mean I am proud of him but what am I doing different? Thanks Ladies!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:19 PM on Jul. 19, 2010 in Health

• Men have more muscle mass then women...Muscle is what helps burn fat. So that is why, they burn fat faster! Good Job though!!
    Soniam301

Answer by Soniam301 at 7:23 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• Your hormones are different. My dh loses weight easily while I've struggled and stayed the same weight for over a year. Part of it is genetics.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 7:23 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• Men tend to have more lean muscle mass, and muscle burns more calories than fat. Your metabolism might be different than his. You said you eat the same things, so my first thought was wrong. I was thinking of the glycemic index. If you eat lots of simple carbs, it causes your blood insulin levels to spike, and that tells your body to store it as fat. Then your levels crash quickly, stimulating hunger. I think that is my problem.
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 7:24 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• its alot harder for women to burn the fat and drop the weight....just keep going and you will drop it....congrats on a great job so far
    branmomma32

Answer by branmomma32 at 7:24 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• Hormones and metabolism. Men just lose weight more easily than women. My Dr. told me hormones have everything in the world to do with it. Don't be discouraged. 1-2 pounds a week is a healthy weight loss. Take it off too quick, it's more likely to sneak back on ya.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 7:25 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• Oh you mean your life/weight lost is like this slim quick commercial. Reading your statements reminded me of the commercial. Honestly your body is different then his, there are many factors into why he's loose the weight easier then you. His may have less body fat already and more muscle, a faster metabolism, etc.
    SAHMinIL2

Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 7:34 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• yep they said it all..... sucks doesn't it!!
    justgrape723

Answer by justgrape723 at 7:34 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• MEN LOSE weight easier than women. Period.
    AdrianaS

Answer by AdrianaS at 7:36 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• probably the same reasons my dh can eat as much fatty greesy food as he wants and not gain a lb, and if i so much as touch a french fry i gain a lb. men tend to have higher metabolism.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 7:39 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• Unfortunately for us women, it is easier for men to lose weight because they have more muscle mass, while women have more fat. You should add exercise that build muscle to your daily regimen . Doing this will help you lose weight faster and tone you up simultaneously. There is a lot of exercises you can do that uses your own body weight, you can invest in small weight 3-5lbs for relatively inexpensive or you can use can good that you already have in the house. You can also search youtube for videos to assist you.

Good luck and good job,you have taken the first step in changing you life.

P.S. make sure you change how you eat.
    mom2gavahnyaand

Answer by mom2gavahnyaand at 7:39 PM on Jul. 19, 2010