How to cure heat rash?

My son is 2 and he has heat rash all over him. I have taken all his clothes off, he walks around in a pull up at home. How do I get rid of the rash?

kandy800

Asked by kandy800 at 7:55 PM on Jul. 19, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• are you sure its heat rash? how long has he had it??
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 7:58 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• My son gets horrible heat rash I have to bathe him everyday and after sweaty activities. My ds got so bad that I had to get a prescription cream that I coat on his body everyday to keep it away. He has no issues in the winter. Talk to your pedi
    ArmyWife112908

Answer by ArmyWife112908 at 8:01 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• He usually gets this type of rash in the summer when its really hot, it's been in the 100 degrees lately, of he will get a similar rash when he takes medicine with penicillin in it and he hasn't had any medicine, so that's why  am guessing it is the heat rash again, he has had it for two days

kandy800

Comment by kandy800 (original poster) at 8:02 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• You might place him on a cotton towel, which can help absorb his sweat. Apply cool, wet washcloths to the areas affected by the rash. A lukewarm bath with a little baking soda — 2 teaspoons per gallon — can also help.

Let him air dry rather than rubbing him with a towel. And DON'T use ointments or creams on the rash. These can make the rash worse by trapping moisture.

Make sure your toddler's nails are short, so he doesn't scratch himself if the rash starts itching. You might want to put little socks on his hands at night so he won't scratch himself while he sleeps.
    teen_mommy1133

Answer by teen_mommy1133 at 8:04 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• dust the rash with cornstarch.
    SoniaL

Answer by SoniaL at 8:08 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• 2 days? dang id just call the pedi and let them know and see what triage says you can do
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 8:09 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• i use the goldbond medicated powder and that really helps us all if we get it. also if it's really itching him you can give him a bath with the aveeno oatmeal bath and that helps too
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 8:11 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• I agree with cornstarch powder. I used to get heat rash when I was a child and heat rash always helped it.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 8:54 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• My great grandmother used to dab cold coffee on the rash it works.
    fmccoy1377

Answer by fmccoy1377 at 6:02 AM on Jul. 20, 2010