Did anyone see the news about doctors who have defaulted on students loans?

With interest accumulated over the years these doctors owe 200,000 and more each. They are making a fortune but refused to pay the students loan. So the tax payers end up paying for them.

ny.chica

Asked by ny.chica at 7:21 PM on Oct. 1, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• I had to payback my student loans even when I had no income! The doctors are making good money and they can write the interest off as business expense. This is ridiculous. We pay the doctors alot for medical care and they stick it to us by not paying their fair share of tax dollars!!!
    I'm pissed
    akhlass

Answer by akhlass at 8:41 PM on Oct. 1, 2008

• This has been going on for decades. I remember hearing about it when I was in college - many, many moons ago.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 7:30 PM on Oct. 1, 2008

• Oh - and it was wrong then and it's still wrong now.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 7:38 PM on Oct. 1, 2008

• I agree is wrong. looking at the outragous amount of money they owe, got me really pissed.
    ny.chica

Answer by ny.chica at 8:11 PM on Oct. 1, 2008

• "Over 1,000 medical professionals around the country are listed on a government website. In all, they owe taxpayers more than $145 million for their medical school education. They all took out low-interest loans that were backed by the federal government. When some doctors failed to repay their loans, the taxpayers had to pick up the tab."

look at the goverment website. they are listed there.
    www.defaulteddocs.dhhs.gov.
    ny.chica

Answer by ny.chica at 8:46 PM on Oct. 1, 2008

• Why don't they suspend their licenses then? Put it toward the bail out?
    manna1qd

Answer by manna1qd at 9:43 PM on Oct. 1, 2008

• ...free healthcare anyone?
    chyna_doll

Answer by chyna_doll at 11:48 PM on Oct. 1, 2008

• The govt usually will garnish wages, attach liens to properties, etc. They'll get their money back some way.
    legalmom343

Answer by legalmom343 at 12:22 AM on Oct. 2, 2008