How do i take the bottle away?

My 2yr old daughter will not go to sleep with out her bottle we have tried taking it away from her but have not succeed. She will use a cup or sippy cup during the day but not at night. Also my husbands parents like for her to spend the night every other weekend and when she does she will come back home asking for only her bottle and wont take her sippy cup. What can i do to get rid of the bottle we have thrown it way and hidden it but she will cry and scream until she gets her bottle. I am a full time student and have to go to bed early and my husband works and goes to school. What can we do???? any advice helps

teen_mommy1133

Asked by teen_mommy1133 at 7:56 PM on Jul. 19, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I just took the bottle away from my twins at night. The first night I gave them lots of affection before I put them down without it. They fussed but I refused to give in. And haven't since! Once you decide to do it you CAN NOT give in at all. You can give lots of love and other things (mine have glow worms and bears) but giving in even once when the child is crying causes them to believe crying allows them to get their way! So if you want to do it find a time where you might lose sleep a few nights and the child is happy otherwise and just go cold turkey and don't give in no matter what. Give hugs and love and support but no bottle.
    bjane01

Answer by bjane01 at 7:22 AM on Jul. 20, 2010

• Honestly...either let her have it and hope she quits on her own before school or listen to the screaming. My son had a paci at one when I took away the bottle, but, I never let him go to sleep with it.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 8:03 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• I just threw my kids away when they were about 10-11 months old.
    ashisamom

Answer by ashisamom at 8:03 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• I remember supernanny taking a kid bottles away. he had a fit for maybe a few hours (this WAS daytime though - as he used them ALL the time and was maybe 3). Then he realized that eh was not going to get his way and he drank out of a regular cup. And that was it. he pitched a fit because he KNEW it got him what he wanted. once he realized it no longer would it ended.
    SoniaL

Answer by SoniaL at 8:07 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• my oldest DD took herself off a bottle when she was 9 months old. Once she was drinking out of sippys she wouldn't drink out of a bottle anymore so I had to put her formula in the sippy cup. So I didn't have to break her from a bottle. She also took herself off a paci when she was 2 weeks old lol. Then my youngest she was on a bottle until she was 15 months old. I couldn't get her off the bottle at first. What I did is she only got her paci once in a while so I gave her the paci to get her off the bottle and it worked. The only problem was I couldn't get her to drink anything outof her cup other than formula for about a month. A month or 2 after the bottle was taken away I took away the binki and she was fine with that lol.
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 8:15 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• I just broke my daughter from the bottle about a month ago when she was 16 months. She wouldnt take a sippy for naps or night time either. So, I just started laying her down with a sippy, walked out the room. For the first two nights..she actually did really well and I was suprised. After that, she's been a little more fussy about laying down but I havent given in. Shes doing really well.
    I think its just one of those things..that ya just do and get it over with.
    But it makes it harder in your case when you have family giving her a bottle when shes at thier house. Everyone has got to be on the same page with it. Talk with them and tell them how strongly you feel she is ready to be done with the bottle..NO EXCEPTIONS.
    Good Luck!
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 8:28 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• sometimes you just have to do things cold turkey.... I just took my 16 month old off tonight and it wasn't that bad.
    fmccoy1377

Answer by fmccoy1377 at 6:01 AM on Jul. 20, 2010

• Take it away completely.. im having the same issues as of right now.
    Audreysmommy123

Answer by Audreysmommy123 at 11:17 AM on Jul. 20, 2010

• with both of my kids, who are now 16 months and 4 years old, I had taken the bottle away cold turkey the night of their first birthday. Its best to go cold turkey with this an listen to the screaming for a few nights rather then worrying about it every night for months to come. Be consistant and let her know shes not getting it... shes a big girl now. Good luck, stick to your guns and all will be fine in the end.
    cthrush82

Answer by cthrush82 at 1:32 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• thank you every one, last night i hid her bottle for her and she was crying for it till about 4a.m but i think the sleepless night was worth it because today during her nap she did not cry for her bottle and accepted her zippy cup with water =D
    teen_mommy1133

Comment by teen_mommy1133 (original poster) at 3:20 PM on Jul. 20, 2010