Fleas Being Transported?

My friend is coming over to stay because she said her cats have fleas and she wants to flea bomb her place. Is it possible for her to bring the fleas to my house?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:06 PM on Jul. 19, 2010 in Pets

• yes unless she has given them frontline or some sort of flea dip right before she comes over
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 8:07 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• Yes she could...sometimes fleas hop a ride on a pair of jeans. I am not sure how long they would last on em though. I just know thats how our vet said that maybe our indoor cat got them the one time...either that or the fleas hopped through the screens into our house.
    Cochise

Answer by Cochise at 8:07 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• yes, completely! i would tell her to kennel them ( the carrier-type), and treat them, as well, with the appropriate flea-control product.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 8:09 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• Oh Yes! They hide in your clothes. She would be safer if she stripped and took a shower before she entered.(Not to be mean, but its true) Let her barrow some of your clothes. Flea bombing the house will never get rid of them they'll come back! I've had a bad flea infestation before and It was so hard for me to get rid of them until I spent some money on a exterminator. He would have to come every three months for a minute until it slowed down and now he comes every 6 months. Haven't had a problem since.
    buggin4baby

Answer by buggin4baby at 8:11 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• Adult fleas spend about 10% of their time on a host. People are hosts also. Yes, she can bring them to your home.

And no, flea bombs do not work unless the space is devoid of furniture. See other flea post for how to treat.
    BuddyRoo

Answer by BuddyRoo at 8:15 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• Yes, even if she gives them Frontline first. Adult fleas can survive up to 2 years without a meal. They can hitchhike on your friend, in her bags, or even in her purse. They can even survive in the carpet in her car if it doesn't get too hot in there. I am just at the end of a flea infestation and when it was at it's worst I spent a week in a hotel, I wouldn't stay at a friend's or relatives house because I'd feel too guilty if I brought my "guests" with me. It has taken A LOT of work and money to get rid of these nasty little buggers! My 2 indoor teacup chihuahua's just got their 2nd dose of Frontline Plus, I've had the exterminator here twice, I've spent countless hours vacuuming and tons of money on upholstery sprays, fabric sprays and 65% deet for myself so I don't get eaten alive. The exterminator is scheduled to come out again in 3 weeks and then again 6 weeks after that.
    FeelinYummy

Answer by FeelinYummy at 6:29 AM on Jul. 20, 2010

• Yes, they certainly can. Fleas can live in the larva stage for months, sometimes up to a year until they feel body heat and become adults. And flea bombing will never get rid of the fleas in her house. The poison sprayed into the air only goes in a 3 foot radius. She needs to get a spray called Sepotral. It works wonders on carpets, and upholstery. She also needs to treat her pets with frontline, advantage or revolution. There is also a new pill out to kill fleas. Bottom line is she needs to seek the help of veterinarian for this problem. Nobody (not even groomers or pet store employees) will know better how to treat a parasite infestation on an animal than a Veterinarian will.
    Angel8203

Answer by Angel8203 at 7:02 PM on Jul. 23, 2010