appropriate age for an infant to withstand anesthesia? my son has to have his extra digits removed. he has an additional finger on each hand. he is one and a half month old

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:19 PM on Jul. 19, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Can I ask why he "has" to have them removed? Are the functioning? If so, I would refrain from that. If they aren't...I would see what the doctor suggests. Even day old babies have had surgery and pain meds.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 8:24 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• Infants only a few hours old can be put under general anesthesia when medicallly necessary, but for non-emergent issues, it is best to consult with your child's surgeon to know at what age it is best to do the surgery.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 8:25 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• the older they are the less risky it is, but even a newborn can go under general if it is absolutely necessary. i would suggest waiting because this is an elective surgery. imo the risks outweigh the benefits at this point

princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 8:27 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• My daughter Lily had open heart surgery to correct the hole in her heart when she was 7 weeks old. She was in critical condition (she's lived in the NICU for her whole 9 weeks) and the timing was crucial. She did just fine.

They have a LOT of options for sedation. I know because there are some Lily can't have. That said, talk to your pediatrician and/or a surgeon who specializes in that area. They'll help you decide. If it's not threatening him, I would wait. The second biggest risk in Lily's surgery was the sedation, and we would not have chosen that route for her at that age if there were a choice.
    tyheamma

Answer by tyheamma at 8:36 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• My daughter had emergency surgery at 2 hours old....my middle son had surgery at three months for cleft lip....my youngest had surgery at three months as well for cleft lip.....
    semazani

Answer by semazani at 9:00 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• I have a friend who's son had to undergo surgery on his lungs at just 6 days old. He was under gen. an. for hours! And he is just fine. Now, there ARE risks, but I would have to believe with something like this the sooner the better... He is less likely at this age to fuss with the bandages or put himself in more risk of infection or something by playing in the dirt or whatnot... Talk to your doctors and your insurance company and see what they feel is the best option.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 9:32 PM on Jul. 19, 2010