Help! My baby needs a G-tube! Any advice?

Okay, so things are not as dire as my title probably makes them sound. But my 9 week old hypotonic infant who lives in the NICU needs to be able to eat before she goes home. I'm hoping for some insider information into the lives of mommies with G-tube babies.

(P.S. For those of you who don't live in the land of medical jargon, hypotonia is poor muscle tone and is actually more serious than it sounds. In Lily's case, it means she can't swallow, which leads us to the need for a G-tube.)

tyheamma

Asked by tyheamma at 8:30 PM on Jul. 19, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• (((((((hugs))))))))) to you and Lily. I have never had my own child with a g-tube, but it is not difficult, just different and doesn't "feel" right until you get used to it. Once you learn how to feed using the tube, she'll be home, just keep that in sight.
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 8:37 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• hugs and many prayers to you im a nicu mommie myself..i didnt have the g tube problem but do always remember nicu babies are tough as nails..and talk to everyone who works in the nicu and get as much advice and training from them as possible...good luck momma and congrats on your baby
    jorjiegirl

Answer by jorjiegirl at 11:59 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• The best thing you can be doing for your special baby is pumping milk. Babies that gets breastmilk do so much bettter and get released quicker.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 2:25 AM on Jul. 20, 2010

• Gailll, I'm definitely doing it. Though I don't know that I can say she's getting released quicker after 9 very long weeks ;)

jorjiegirl... I've been getting so much training that they joke with me that I will have to come work there when I'm done.
    tyheamma

Comment by tyheamma (original poster) at 2:10 PM on Jul. 20, 2010