If my 3 yr old son is always flapping his arms around and yelling and super hyper do you think he might have autism?

he has his apointment till november to see if he has autism or not, but he barely started sleeping normally at night, he use to be all night awake! i tried and tried training him and he would get his sleeping schedule fixed for a little bit but then a few weeks or days later he would go back to being a lil vampire. but i hate it when i go to visit family and they tell me to get him on medication or something, so thats why i just stay home so i wont have to hear any negative remarks about my son.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:28 PM on Oct. 1, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• The flapping, yelling, and general hyper-ness could be signs of many things - including normal preschool behavior.

You need to document what he does and when in the time before your appointment. Is he worse after eating certain foods? Is he worse after a trip to the park or store? Is he better after certain foods? Is there a time of day when he is worse or better? Keep a detailed food and behavior diary for him over the next month. It will really help his doctor see if there is a problem and figure out what to do if there is.

And be aware, sugar does not make kids hyper. It's an old-wives-tale. So don't fall into the trap of assuming he is hyper after he has a sugary snack - most likely he is behaving as he normally would and you are just thinking it is worse because he had a snack.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 7:36 PM on Oct. 1, 2008

• DON"T LET ANYONE TALK DOWN TO YOU OR HIM! only the doctors can tell you if it is autism, but either wya he is your baby and god made him and loves him just the way he is!
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 8:24 PM on Oct. 1, 2008

• I agree with kaycee14. I would pay careful attention to when he's doing the behavior. I can tell you that my son used to do the same thing. I, also had to put up with a lot of negative comments from my family about his behavior and my parenting skills. It's enough to drive you crazy. My son was diagnosed with asperger's, which is like a high-functioning autism. Watch for other behaviors. Does he make eye contact with you? Does he have to do some things in the exact same way every time? Hopefully, he's just a typical preschooler. Good Luck!!
    Carolyn511

Answer by Carolyn511 at 8:28 PM on Oct. 1, 2008

• I'd talk to a professional about it. If it's something, you'll get a diagnosis and can proceed from there. If it's nothing, you'll be relieved that you covered your bases.

My son has dyspraxia and we finally got it diagnosed and it felt like a weight was lifted off my shoulders once I knew what i was dealing with and have now found ways to help him.

Good luck!!
    ggfletcher

Answer by ggfletcher at 11:33 PM on Oct. 1, 2008

• I know a person whose son was quite handful, and a doctor put him on a strict diet. No wheat, no chemical additives, not even apples and certain fruits. That helped him. Sounds impossible, but it's true.
    Meachan

Answer by Meachan at 1:09 AM on Oct. 2, 2008