does anyone have tips for getting a 10 week old to sleep through the night? he wakes up every 2 to 3 hours to eat. he eats 4oz every feeding. should i try feeding him more ounces at night?

2boysmommi

Asked by 2boysmommi at 8:30 PM on Jul. 19, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• you should just keep getting up with him every 2-3 hrs. he is too young to sleep through the night. he will when he is ready, but most dont until about a year.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 8:32 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• my old wives' tale is that a baby will start to sleep longer at night when they reach about 12 pounds. It worked for me, for my cousins, just about everyone I know. How much does your ds weigh?
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 8:35 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• Try feeding her a bottle before you go to bed even if she is a sleep. I would wake her up at 11:00 and give her a bottle. At that age she would sleep until about 6:00. If she woke up I didn't feed her I just checked on her. I cut out the 11:00 feeding when she started eating solids around 4 1/2 months.
    mommom2000

Answer by mommom2000 at 8:36 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• After about 4-6 months, they will no longer need feedings in the middle of the night.At this young of an age..they can only take in so much at once and they need to eat often. When he is able to eat more at once, it will take longer to digest and his periods of sleeping will stretch out a little longer.
    My daughter was about 6 months old the first time she slept through the night.
    My son..I forget exactly when he first slept through the night..its been awhile.
    Maybe increase his intake for the bottle before you lay him down fo rth eevening by one ounce and see if he'll sleep in a bit of a longer stretch...maybe 4 hours instead of the 2-3.
    Good luck ..and don't worry..you'll get some good sleep in soon! :)
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 8:36 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• Sorry, this is just part of being the mother of a 10 week old. If they wake up hungry, you have to feed them. Good luck... and there is a light at the end of the tunnel. :-)
    HistoryMamaX3

Answer by HistoryMamaX3 at 8:38 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• At 10 weeks, he most likely needs to be eating through the night. Waking up every 2-3 hours is normal. No, you cannot stuff him to make him sleep longer. Just stick it out, he'll be sleeping longer soon enough.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 8:38 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• He has a tiny belly. He can't go for long periods of time without eating like an adult.

Answer by admckenzie at 8:41 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• Honestly, I know that right now you're probably exhausted and just want to know how to get your baby to sleep so you can get some, too. But, the only thing really that's going to help is time.

Right now, your little one's stomach is too small to hold enough food to last longer than that, plus, what it does hold, it's burning through really fast for all the growth and development that goes on at this age.

If you try to feed the baby more than he/she is wanting to eat or normally / comfortably eats, then it's going to backfire. The little one is going end up with a tummy ache, spitting up, etc, which is going to make them not sleep well, either. (Sort of like when we eat too much and get indigestion..)

So, I'm sorry, but really, the only thing is to just keep plugging along and remind yourself that it won't be too long before your little one grows out of this stage and you're able to sleep more again!

GL!
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 8:43 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• he weighs 13 pounds!!
    2boysmommi

Comment by 2boysmommi (original poster) at 8:50 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• My pediatrician told me that by the third month the baby does not physically need tnight time feeding. Giving a night time feeding until a year sounds drastic. You are going to scare her. Ask your pediatrician. I have three children and all of them slept through the nightat 3 months. I did try to stick to a schedule.  I think by 3 months it is just a matter of opinion to feed or not to feed.

mommom2000

Answer by mommom2000 at 8:56 PM on Jul. 19, 2010