litter training small animals

i've heard you can litter train guinea pigs. We like to let ours out to play in the living room but he leaves pellits everywhere. How can we train him to only go in his cage? We leave it open for him to go and i've even left a spot of newspaper with litter on it for him to go in a corner of our living room when we put him out? Any helpful hints?

shay1130

Asked by shay1130 at 8:59 PM on Jul. 19, 2010 in Pets

• I had a rabbit once that was litter trained. You couldn't put it in the cage you had to put it outside the cage so that might make a difference.
    Also maybe look on line about how to go about it. I am sure it can be done.
    Good luck to you
    Dannille33

Answer by Dannille33 at 11:13 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• No, but that is one cute piggie!! I know it can be done, but I've never tried with my pigs.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 11:25 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• I know that there is litter that is suppose to help litter train ferrets and other small animals. Look for it at your local pet stores. As for if it works for piggies or not I am not sure I just got mine and have not tried yet. I am sure if you google it or look in pet stores at the books you may find a few answers.
    Alanaplus3

Answer by Alanaplus3 at 10:44 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• I've read that you can litter train guinea pigs as well. We have our cage at floor level and when they run around we leave the door open and they have gradually figured out they can go back into the cage to go pee. We very seldom have pee accidents with them anymore, but we didn't really 'train' them either, they figured it out on their own. We have never had success getting them not to poop outside the cage though, but since it's just little pellets it's easy to go by with the dustbuster once they go back inside.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 11:11 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• Basically you notice where they go in their cage the most, put the litter box there, keep moving it to the spot they go if they start using a different corner, eventually they get the idea, or thats how I trained my rabbit. Often times she'd still poop outside the cage but never pee. I just used pine shavings, her normal litter.
    stargazerwolf

Answer by stargazerwolf at 10:39 PM on Jul. 21, 2010