What is a good product...

for acne? My son is 15 and starting to get bad acne.

Jerbear_1974

Asked by Jerbear_1974 at 9:03 PM on Jul. 19, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• Proactive is Great, but can be a little costly... If you have insurance talk to his doctor, I have heard some great things about that "epiduo" gel... If that doesn't work, go to RiteAid & get Natures Cure, that's what I used to use & I always loved it, but it's a little slower than the other more "medical" options.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 9:07 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• I don't know about a good product except good face washing throughout the day. What might work for one kid may not work for another. I am thinking it is trial by error
    I can offer this have him change his pillow case everyday. Oils build up on them and when he lays his face down he is just laying in old crappy oil residue.......
    justgrape723

Answer by justgrape723 at 9:08 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• I had never heard that about the pillow case! But it makes sense!
    Jerbear_1974

Comment by Jerbear_1974 (original poster) at 9:10 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• A friend of mine and also my stylist suggested using tea tree oil on the blemishes. My son is almost 12 and is getting the occasional blemish. The oil is an astringent, and in my son's experience, works well. It might be a little pricey, but a small bottle lasts a long time. Good luck!
    Robsmommy

Answer by Robsmommy at 9:13 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• Proactiv! It works wonderful. It might cost a little bit more than you would buy but it works good.
    Bubbles_mommy

Answer by Bubbles_mommy at 9:14 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• my brother used clearsil. he was precibed a crap load of ointments that he never used but the clearsil worked for him. is it stil availbe anywhere? i haven't seen it anywhere lately
    caljones

Answer by caljones at 9:43 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• Here is how my teen handles her acne: wash your face twice a day with a very mild soap (like unscented baby soap) and a soft wash cloth; follow with a light, oil free moisturizer (like Just Tomatoes or Lush). Once a day, before you wash your face, put on a honey mask (just honey, a great anti-bacterial). Every three days add a pinch of baking soda to the honey to exfoliate. Check back with me in two weeks and tell me how this worked.

Answer by rkoloms at 10:33 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• My son's acne started to get bad a couple of years ago, I took him to the dermatologist. We use a medicated prescription face wash that insurance covers. With our co-pay and flex spending account it's actually cheaper than clearasil and works a whole lot better!
    FeelinYummy

Answer by FeelinYummy at 7:14 AM on Jul. 20, 2010

• I took my daughter to the doctor and got some prescription cream which works a lot better than pro-active did.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 9:26 AM on Jul. 20, 2010

• Try taking him to a dermatoligist i can be epensive but its good to know what you can do to make your skin get healthy
    mom2b23869

Answer by mom2b23869 at 11:48 AM on Jul. 20, 2010