Nightlight for a newborn?

Are newborn babies scared of the dark ? Do you use a nightlight for your baby?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:16 PM on Jul. 19, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I would use a nightlight in a newborns room so in the middle of the night when you have to go in there, you don't have to turn on the bright light.
    Cindy18

Answer by Cindy18 at 9:18 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• my reason is same as cindy. i dont think they are scared
    rileymommy

Answer by rileymommy at 9:18 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• A nightlight in a newborn's room is more for the parent who is going in to change and feed at night. After all, you don't think your womb had a nightlight, do you? ;-)
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 9:19 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• we use a night light so i can see her when she wakes up in the middle of the night or so i can see her when i go to check on her!
    Caroline2010

Answer by Caroline2010 at 9:19 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• We cosleep, so it's never been an issue. But if you are going to be putting them in their own room I suggest a small nightlight or table lamp at least so that you can see what's going on w/o having to turn on the big light when they need you through the night. Also, if you plan to get them one once they are older it's good to start them young so they get used to shadows and aren't afraid of them later. We don't do any nightlights, even in my older son's room. There are lights in the hallway so he can see if he has to get up, but not in his room. The shadows they cause tend to be more frightening to small children than the dark is.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 9:19 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• My daughter is 2 and afraid of the dark. We have a timer on her bedroom lamp. It turns off about 2 hours after we put her to bed. This way we don't wake her up when we go in to turn it off. It's a bad habit we started, but I'm not going to change anything until I know she understands.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 9:40 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• Well.... Id use a nightlight more for myself. But i did watch an interesting show last night that was talking about people being afraid of the dark & they said something about we may have been born with a since of fear of the dark for survival... so just a lil' thought.. lol
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 10:19 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• When our son was a baby, we left the light on in his walk in closet, but it was more for us than for him. He was fine without a nightlight for almost 3 years then decided his bedroom was too dark. With our daughter (she's 5 months), we installed a dimmer switch on her overhead light so if we have to go in there we put it on the lowest setting. I read an article when my son was a baby that the dark is actually good for their eye development.
    Journey311

Answer by Journey311 at 10:57 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• They'll sleep longer and better in pitch black- babies do not need nightlights.
    MDT09

Answer by MDT09 at 10:59 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• I used the light of a cellphone to nurse my DD before the STTN... So, she never fully woke, I could feed her and she'd go right back to sleep- and so would I!
    MDT09

Answer by MDT09 at 11:00 PM on Jul. 19, 2010