When should we start putting our 10 week old baby down earlier at night?

He's been sleeping pretty well. Most nights, he's been sleeping from about 10PM to 5-6AM and last night, slept till almost 7AM! He gets tired at night but I'm afraid that if we put him down earlier, it will just mean me getting up more times during the night to feed him.

shem817

Asked by shem817 at 9:35 PM on Jul. 19, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• If it's working....leave it alone! It's not like he has school in the morning! lol My daughter just turned 2 and her bedtime is still 10pm.....it's been her bed time for as long as she's been sleeping through the night. I see no reason to change it until she starts school.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 9:38 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• if it works leave it be! our 5 month old goes to bed at 10 and sleeps until 9am! she gets up once during the night! it works for us cuz thats when we go to bed!
    Caroline2010

Answer by Caroline2010 at 9:45 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• Don't try to fix anything. It's not going to stay the same anyway. The first year sleep patterns change a lot. You also have a major growth spurt coming up. Get your sleep while you can because you will very likey be getting up for feedings like the vast majority of us :)
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 9:49 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• i agree with bridget.. if its working leave it alone & consider yourself really lucky its going smoothly but dont look for it to stay that way forever. Their sleeping patterns/nap patterns change every time you think you got the hang of it! LOL... The baby really has all the control right now & you going against it will most likely just make for an upset baby/daddy/mommy!

(my dd is almost 4 & her bedtime is between 9-10 as well... she will sleep until 8-9am which is pretty much right for our family. When she was younger 2-3yrs I tried getting her to go to bed at a "normal" bedtime- hahah didnt work at all.. She didnt want to sleep through the night & her wakeup time was either realllllyyy early or too late which lead to bad nap times.. and so forth)
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 10:13 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• You're actually at the right stage to begin introducing an earlier bedtime as your baby's sleep begins to consolidate. The golden rule of sleep is that sleep begets sleep. Babies & children in general sleep better and longer when they go to sleep at a decent time before they get overtired. Now, I wouldn't go from a 10 pm bedtime to an 8 pm bedtime overnight, but that late evening nap your baby has been taking may quickly turn into her bedtime. Also, consider putting the baby down 15 minutes earlier each night for a few nights and keep bumping it up.

Around that age my daughter was going to bed around 8 and sleeping until 7. A lot of times she would nurse and go back to sleep for another hour or so. As other posters have mentioned, her sleep habits have changed so be prepared for that. Recently she has started waking up earlier, but tonight I put her down at 6:45 b/c she was tired.
    Journey311

Answer by Journey311 at 10:55 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• Sounds like what you're doing is working...
    FYI Don't be surprise if baby wakes up in the middle of the night once teething or, during growth spurts.
    MDT09

Answer by MDT09 at 11:33 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• I wouldn't let a baby sleep that long. Human milk digests in only 2-3 hours, formula a little longer. If blood sugar drops because the baby doesn't eat then the brain doesn't get sugar. It's important for infants to have sugar for their brain for development. That's why they eat so frequently.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 2:20 AM on Jul. 20, 2010

• We started putting our daughter to bed around 8 or 8:30 when she was your son's age. We gradually moved her bedtime to 7 or 7:30 once we noticed that she was getting really sleepy around that time. I would pay attention to your son's sleepy signs. If he's tired, I would put him to bed. We found that her wake up time didn't get any earlier...it actually stayed the same whether we put her down early or late. Putting him down earlier might give him better quality sleep. Good Luck!
    hmurf

Answer by hmurf at 7:23 AM on Jul. 20, 2010