How old was your child when you first took him/her to the dentist?

sherribeare

Asked by sherribeare at 9:37 PM on Jul. 19, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I asked this same question the other day, you'll be surprised how it varies from parent to parent.
    BlainesMommy09

Answer by BlainesMommy09 at 9:38 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• 2 1/2, which was the age recommended by his pediatric dentist - although I understand now that a lot of dentists are seeing them younger than that.

Answer by missanc at 9:38 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• Both of my kids have seen the dentist since they were 1
    Decker

Answer by Decker at 9:39 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• i have three kids, my oldest was 3 when i took him to the dentist, and so was my second son, but i have found out that some dentist start seeing kids at 2. I wish i would've known that, cause my second son had to have all his teeth capped for medical problems.
    krauseboys

Answer by krauseboys at 9:39 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• Our dentist recommends 3 yrs old as the first visit.
    SoniaL

Answer by SoniaL at 9:40 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• My kids are 3 & 4... Neither have ever been. I talked to our dentist and he said there was no need unless they were having issues or they were getting their adult teeth in. So I was shocked when my Peds told me my 4yo should go, but she said there was no need for my 3yo to go yet. I told her what the Dentist said and she said I should switch dentists... Then she gave me the number of MY DENTIST and told me to call him... lol!

So we will be getting them in there soon.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 9:41 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• 15 months.
    thatgirl70

Answer by thatgirl70 at 9:43 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• My son went the day before his fourth birthday. The dentist he goes to sees kids from 6 months, they check the gums to make sure the teeth can come in properly. My dentist won't see kids under age 5. Our pediatrician says age 3 now but he just started recommending that shortly before my son went for his first visit and he didn't tell me until a few days after when we had his annual. My mother says that you should wait until the kid has a pain or damage, a specific reason to go.
    RhondaVeggie

Answer by RhondaVeggie at 10:07 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• My pedi, the what to expect the first year book, and the american academy of pediatric dentistry all said a year or 6 months after the first too th erupts. Whatever comes first. My son went at 12 months. :)
    carsonsmommytam

Answer by carsonsmommytam at 11:24 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• According to our pediatrician around age 3. So, we took my oldest just before her 3rd birthday. When we went to the dentist, we asked him what he thought. His recommendation was shortly after the child has teeth. On his recommendation, we brought our middle one in around 2 years old (he just had us bring her in when we brought our oldest in for her next check-up). With our little guy, the dentist says to bring him in the first time the girls come in after he has gotten a tooth.

I think it all depends on who you talk to. A lot of dentists around here won't see kids (unless they are a pediatric dentist) so will tell you not to bring them in until a certain age (I got a range from 5-8 when I called). And, as I learned, MD's might tell you something different than the dentists.
    mupt02

Answer by mupt02 at 11:41 PM on Jul. 19, 2010