Obama: Lawmakers should extend jobless benefits......................?

WASHINGTON — President Barack Obama took aim at Republican lawmakers Monday, accusing them of holding the public hostage to Washington politics by blocking extended unemployment benefits for millions of out of work Americans.

What do you think?

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/38307439/ns/business-stocks_and_economy

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:37 PM on Jul. 19, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Ok I know i am gonna get bashed for this but, whatever I have been on unemployment since Janurary of 2009. I apply for jobs (totally serious) everyday! The first thing i do when i wake up and before i go to bed is to check out the job postings. I used to make $20/hour and i have even applied at McDonalds and Walmart and still NOTHING! I have to say that i do think my old manager is blocking me from getting a job when they call to check my employment records ( I almost got her fired for STEALING but she covered her ass too well!) but I have no proof of this..so other than look for a job ALL the time what else can i do???? I get that there are people that ABUSE the system but if you cut everyone off what happens to the people out there like me who need it and who have been doing everything in their power to get a job!?
    momofone072506

Answer by momofone072506 at 10:29 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• The republicans have told PBO that they would support the bill if he makes it revenue neutral. They are trying to hold him to the campaign plank he used saying he wants Congress to be a "pay as you go" body. They will gladly sign the bill as soon as he shows them where the cuts will be in other programs to pay the tab. He accused them of creating the huge deficit except he left out that in 2007 the deficit was $800 billion and now it will be $1.4 trillion. Congress controls the checkbook and it has been a democrat controlled body since 2006. He accuses the repub. of playing partisan politics as he gives a very partisan speak which was very political. He just doesn't get the irony in the whole thing.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 10:06 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• I want to know where this money is supposed to be coming from? I can think of a dozen people off the top of my head that aren't even looking.

Don't get me wrong, I KNOW there is trouble for some. Not in this area as much as other areas.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 9:43 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• OMG, did Delilah just say that? LOL
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 10:05 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• lovin, unemployment is taken out of your paycheck. Just thought I would let you know that.

No it is not. This is one of the most ignorant myths out there. Unemployment is paid by your employer directly and when that fund runs out it is supplemented by the federal government on a state by state basis.

Obama better look at who is really opposing that bill - it's not just pubs - it's also any dem from a district that thinks too much money has been spent on it. This one is not party line, it's re-election line which means constituents come before fearless leader and/or puppet.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 10:13 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• Delilah, WE know WHERE the money is coming from...but there are only so many WORKING people from which to keep taking the money from!! You can't get blood from a stone!

I have no doubt, Obama wants to extend unemployment benefits for about another 16 weeks or so....
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 9:52 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• Unemployment is NOT taken out of your paycheck. Your employer pays into a fund and the government pays the rest.
    Obama and congress put into effect paygo and are now wanting to add this unemployment costs to the deficit. The Republicans have offered up several ways to pay for this but the Dems refuse. They do not want it paid for obviously. They are using this as a ploy to try and make Republicans look mean. It's one of their favorite moves when they are in a bad spot.
    We need someone to stand up and do what is right as Obama says but extending this is only going to make things worse. These people will not have jobs by the end of November when this round expires nor at anytime while Obama is President.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 10:13 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• I am truly disgusted. Unemployment used to be for six months. Now you can drag it out for two years and Obama wants to extend it even further? This is insanity. How is this good for our country? Oh, you poor thing, there are no jobs. Just sit there and take, and take, and take.
    LauraMi261

Answer by LauraMi261 at 10:05 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• I think that unemployment is intended to help bridge the gap, not become a way of life. And the last thing we need is more debt, which is what extending these benefits would do.
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 9:46 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• LOL! Only someone who has never had a job would think unemployment comes out of your paycheck. Trust me, there is no "unemployment withholding" on your check stub.

We can't keep paying for people to stay home and do nothing. It rots people's brains, as evident in a previous poster's answer.
    MunchMunch

Answer by MunchMunch at 10:26 PM on Jul. 19, 2010