My 4 year old has a wart. What can I do?

It just pooped up out of knowhere and is pretty good size. It is on her finger. She also got cold symptoms at the same time. Could they be related? I have heard that warts were viral. Do I need to go to Dr. or is there med. that I can buy?

saysmom

Asked by saysmom at 10:07 PM on Jul. 19, 2010 in General Parenting

• My son had a lot of warts when he was little took him to the dr he had me put duct tape on it, I only had to duct tape the 1st one that appeared and they all dissapeared put duct tape on it then a bandaid on top for 8days let it breath one day and repeat.
    mscamp0235

Answer by mscamp0235 at 10:12 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• Our doctor had us get liquid wart remover (about $3 at Wal-Mart) apply, let dry, cover with a band-aid. The next day use a nail file to file off the dead skin then repeat. This process took us about a week, although he said it could take a couple weeks.
    mom-2-4boys

Answer by mom-2-4boys at 10:18 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• our doctor told us to use duct tape too, it really works and it's a lot safe than chemicals that you can buy! We were told by the doctor that they don't use the freeze treatment on kids under 12 years old! Good luck!!
    Truluv4ever

Answer by Truluv4ever at 10:24 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• If you have aspirin or anything else with salicylic acid in it you can make a paste and put it on then put a bandaid on it.

Answer by admckenzie at 10:26 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• My 3 year old daughter had 2 on one of her fingers. I took her to the dermatologist and he gave us tape and told us to get DuoFilm liquid. So every night we put the DuoFilm on and let it dry, then the tape over it...and topped it off with a band-aid. They were gone with in a week, one day I pulled the tape off and and the "seed" came out. They have not come back. The doc can also freeze them off, but that might be traumatic for a little kid.

momjoy1027

Answer by momjoy1027 at 10:27 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• Duct tape. Keep it on for a week

Answer by rkoloms at 10:55 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• When I was about his age I got a wart on one of my hands. The doctors cut it out, it not only came back, but spread... Then they froze them off, and again, they came back and spread... Finally I had over 2 DOZEN warts on my 2 hands, and we tried the liquid wart remover... It was the ONLY thing that worked...

As an adult I have one on my wrist, and I have done the "duct tape" thing, but it never does anything besides getting the top part out, it doesn't get the root out. I usually cut them off myself & dig out the root, but I don't recommend that for a child.

My best advice is either try the OTC wart freezer stuff or the liquid wart remover...
    Good Luck!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:35 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• My 4 year old has one too. He just had his 4 year check up. His doctor says not to worry about it. We could try the OTC stuff but that sometimes it is painful. The wart isn't hurting him so I see no need to do anything.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 8:35 AM on Jul. 20, 2010