Oil, gas leaking from cap on ruptured well again.

NEW ORLEANS – BP's broken well was leaking oil and gas again Monday for the first time since the company capped it last week, but the Obama administration's spill chief said it was no cause for alarm. The stopper was left in place for now.

Ever since the cap was used to bottle up the oil last week, engineers have been watching underwater cameras and monitoring pressure and seismic readings to see whether the well would hold or spring a new leak, perhaps one that could rupture the seafloor and make the disaster even worse.

Small amounts of oil and gas started coming from the cap late Sunday, but "we do not believe it is consequential at this time," retired Coast Guard Adm. Thad Allen said.

I knew it was too early to celebrate. Anyone else find this depressing and/or worrisome?

mancosmomma

Asked by mancosmomma at 10:16 PM on Jul. 19, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I read somewhere that the sea floor has risen some 30 FEET around where the leak has been spewing--I believe it's die to a build up of methane gas!!
    ----------
    I have been working all weekend, so I am so out of the loop! But, I find this more worrisome than the leak ever was!
    29again

Answer by 29again at 10:55 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• the whole thing makes me nervous. I feel like no one was being honest from the get go.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 10:31 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• That's not good. I read somewhere that the sea floor has risen some 30 FEET around where the leak has been spewing--I believe it's die to a build up of methane gas!! That's ALL we need!!!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 10:25 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• This is very disturbing and disheartening. I wonder if this will be "the" event that impacts human life on this planet, kind of like the meteorite that is thought to have caused the prehistoric creatures to go extinct. We can't really know how this will impact us. I think it is bigger than any of us realize.
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 10:34 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• Not surprised.
    MunchMunch

Answer by MunchMunch at 10:23 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• Not surprised at all.
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 5:14 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• mancosmomma

Comment by mancosmomma (original poster) at 10:17 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• why am I not surprised

mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 10:17 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• i'm not surprised either. this world is going to hell in a handbasket.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 10:19 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• Wow, really, again. Figures.
    monkeedork

Answer by monkeedork at 10:21 PM on Jul. 19, 2010