Will dying your hair about once every 2 months damage it?

My friend is 30, and her hair has stopped growing, and is now breaking off. It stopped growing about 3 or 4 years ago, and was starting to break off at the ends. Now the top part of on side of her head has snapped off to make it about 6 inches long. She dyes her hair red (store bought stuff) about every 2-3 months. She does have a thyroid issue, and is on therapy for that. I told her a long time ago that I thought it was the constant dying, but she doesn't believe me, and says that is an old wives tale. Does anybody know?

Angel8203

Asked by Angel8203 at 10:47 PM on Jul. 19, 2010 in Beauty & Style

•  medication effect on hair...http://www.ehow.com/about_5580834_hair-loss-due-medications.html 

AND

thyroid patients in particular may experience hair loss earlier and more quickly than usual.  read about it here: http://thyroid.about.com/cs/hairloss/a/hairloss.htm

charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 11:34 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• Sounds like something more serious to me. I know of people who've died their hair since they were teens and now as adults still have healthy hair. Sounds to me as though it's a more serious health issue. She should talk to her doctor about it.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 10:51 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• No, dying her hair every 2 months won't damage it. Bleaching it to often can, but not dye.
    It definitely sounds like a medical problem to me. She needs to discuss this with her doctor.
    Janet

Answer by Janet at 10:54 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• any type of dye is damaging..but as long as you keep it trimmed and do everything else to take care of it, it should be ok..but everyones hair is different
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 10:59 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• I get my hair done every 6-8 weeks along with trimming it. Ive been doing this since i was about 15. I think as long as you take care of it, I dont think there should be any problems. BUT everyone is different.
    MamaSpurg

Answer by MamaSpurg at 10:50 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• it shouldn't be happening because of the color- I do mine with store bought stuff about every 5 weeks...
    medication could be the issue-everything you eat or take in goes into your hair
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 10:50 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• yes it will. i only dyed my hair once every few months for about 5 years. my hair was thick and soft before that, now it's fine, damaged, and just looks awful, i'm only 21....even just dying your hair once damages it
    aliishott2

Answer by aliishott2 at 10:50 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• *any chemical treatment is damaging to the hair -but from what you are describing it definitely sounds health related not hair color usage related
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 10:54 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• Tell her to try to massage her scalp while watching tv to help stimulate her scalp. but if she doesn't want to listen oh well you tried to help. This condition could be hereditary or stress she might need to go see a dermatologist. GL
    Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 10:56 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• yeah that sounds like a health problem, not the hair coloring. I dye my hair regularly and have healthy shiny long hair, I get split ends from regular hot rollers and blow drying, but nothing abnormal. Bleaching blonde is super damaging, but I really don't think her issue is due to the coloring.
    AshleyBDG

Answer by AshleyBDG at 10:59 PM on Jul. 19, 2010