Breastfeeding from a bottle.

I am getting closer to the due date for this new baby, and I am really stuck on how to feed her. I have breastfed, exclusively, before and it was the greatest experience for me. With the last baby I was not able to and I really hate the fact that I could not nurse her like my other kids. I want to nurse this one, but I am not sure about it. I will not have the support system like I did in the past. My husband will work 6 days a week, from early morning until late night. I will have the three kids by myself, and I also have the stress of my mother's illness and the fact that she is slowly creeping to her death bed. My father lives with us, but he really is no help. I want to breastfeed but I was thinking about nursing for the first couple of weeks until my milk came in, and then pumping after that. What do you think? Is it worth it? Has anyone done this before?

krissyvelazquez

Asked by krissyvelazquez at 11:30 PM on Jul. 19, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Oh my god, sweetie, I'm so sorry!
    In your situation, I would breastfeed. Formula feeding would put soooo much more stress on you, espeically if you've never done it before! My first was formula fed and I would never go back to that horrible mess. I've tried pumping as well and you have to be so vigilant or you'll lose your supply.

Breastfeed. Trust me, you'll regret it if you dont. Good luck sweetie. I hope everything works out.
    SpiritedTigress

Answer by SpiritedTigress at 4:28 AM on Jul. 20, 2010

• For me, it was just easier to nurse. No parts to clean, nothing to freeze, no bottles to wash. Everything you need is right there, if you know what I mean ;) But, if you can pump exclusively and successfully, then go for it. That way baby is still benefiting :) You really won't know how things are going to work out until that time comes. Good luck, mama.
    beckie66

Answer by beckie66 at 11:35 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• Sounds like you're busy... super busy! I would invest in a good baby carrier... And FYI it would take WAYYYY longer to pump then, feed- right?
    MDT09

Answer by MDT09 at 11:32 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• It's more time consuming. If you are already busy, washing bottles, pumping, washing the pump, heating the bottles... all that stuff is really time consuming.

I wear my baby in a Moby a lot. it really helps me get things done. There is a way to nurse with the baby inside the Moby wrap. That might help you nurse while parenting the other little ones. Hands free nursing is way cool.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 11:35 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• I also wanted to add there are benefits from the baby breastfeeding such as orthodontia, managing eye contact, shaping face structure and the reduction of SIDS.

MDT09

Answer by MDT09 at 11:38 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• It would be alot more trouble to pump then to plain breast feed. I would just nurse!
    nsrush83

Answer by nsrush83 at 11:43 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• Pumping is really, really hard. Breastfeeding is much easier. Stress does not affect breastfeeding. Women in the tent cities in Haiti are breastfeeding just fine and turning away donations of formula and human milk. Women with AIDS in Africa breastfeed. Women in war torn countries breastfeed.

Pumps are not the same as babies. You have to pump and clean the pump and parts every 2-3 hours around the clock. Those night pumpings are horrible. Rental pumps may be the only pump that keeps supply up and can get expensive. The baby doesn't get many of the advantages of breastfeeding if they are bottlefed expressed, stored milked. I think you should breastfeed your baby.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 2:09 AM on Jul. 20, 2010

• I think it it totally worth it! you will still get the bonding experience yet freedom, and you child will get the best of both worlds as well! breast milk is best for you child not to mention cheaper for you! I would do it, if you have to pump and bottle feed at least they are getting what they need and they still got their time with you in the start of things. I wish i could have nursed my daughter. i had breast reduction when i was 15 and at 25 i couldnt nurse my DD because my milk didnt come it and she lost over a pound in 4 days so i HAD to bottle feed and the day the dr told me i had to was a sad day in my house i was a B and cried for about 4 hours! Go for it!!
    babymaddy

Answer by babymaddy at 11:34 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• It is true, it does take more time to pump and bottle feed. I exclusively pump and bottle feend my baby breastmilk. I do it because my baby would not latch on, but if I could I would breastfeed. I hate washing pump parts and bottles. YOu have to pump like every 3 hours so you are spending just as much time as breastfeeding (pump as much as a baby would feed), plus the time for washing.
    YOu could always try it out for a couple of weeks and see if it is for you. THere is a group on Cafremom called "Exclusively Pumping Mommies". It is a very active group and all the mom on there really give ALOT of support and advice. I would suggest joining and reading all the posts to help you decide.
    jet360

Answer by jet360 at 1:43 AM on Jul. 20, 2010

• I think it's easier to breast feed. I had a hard time pumping. It was very time consuming. I enjoyed the time I got to sit down and breast feed my babies.
    Iluvmy5

Answer by Iluvmy5 at 8:25 AM on Jul. 20, 2010