What would you do?

I pay $130/week for daycare. Times are hard & I have expectations for my child being taken care of. I get a call from my child's teacher that she "had several diarrhea diapers" & for me "to come get her as soon as possible". I asked if she had a temperature & they couldn't tell me if she had one because they didn't even check. Not that the diarrhea wasn't bad enough, but that still bothered me. Secondly, I was told I could not bring her for 24 hours from her last diarrhea diaper. I'm aware of that, but then the statement was made that "she can't come tomorrow". I'm not trying to be difficult but technically 24 hours from her last diarrhea diaper (1:45pm today) would be 1:45pm tomorrow. I have a class from 3:15pm-5:15pm tomorrow, which is AFTER the 24 hour period they stated. My child is acting fine, she has NOT had any diarrhea diapers/fever;nothing since 1:45pm today. I need to take her and I plan on calling to let them know

careph

Asked by careph at 11:37 PM on Jul. 19, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• is there somewhere in the policy about children with diarrhea andnot coming back, kids have this it doesn't mean they are sick. i have only heard of cold, runny nose and fever that u have a waiting period to send a child back to a daycare or school.
    krauseboys

Answer by krauseboys at 11:40 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• It just says if you child has ___, ___, diarrhea, etc. they much be clear/free from it for 24 hours before they return.
    careph

Comment by careph (original poster) at 11:42 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• state law.
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 11:42 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• first off all get a new day care u are paying alot of money for them not to take the time to check her temperture ...which they should Have one i mean it is a day care they have to be able to figure out if a kid has a tempature...i mean if they cant take the time to see how high her temperature is i wonder what kind of care they are giving your daughter.....?
    delialayla

Answer by delialayla at 11:43 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• I get the state law portion. It's more about they stressed the 24 hour part, but then said "she can't come tomorrow". If they're going to strees 24 hours then I'll follow their 24 hour rule/the state law but that means from ~2:00pm and on she can be there right?
    careph

Comment by careph (original poster) at 11:45 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• You're right delialayla. They are a "church related daycare" and honestly that makes me a bit more annoyed because they promote the church philosophies and beliefs, but what quality is the care they provide..I don't know. I guess that's seperate.
    careph

Comment by careph (original poster) at 11:46 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• if she continues to be diarrhea free all day tomorrow... call them around noon and tell them that she hasn't had any since 1:45 and it's been 24 hours and she is symptom free. If she DOES have a diarrhea even a little bit tomorrow... take it seriously... illnesses that cause diarrhea are SPREAD by diarrhea!
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 12:04 AM on Jul. 20, 2010

• Wow, that's strict. I know most daycares around here are more concerned with fever PLUS diarrhea than just diarrhea. It could be a virus, or it could be something your child ate - especially if there's no fever involved. It seems the common policy around here is if the child has 3 diarrhea diapers in a short period of time, then they call the parents.
    You may want to look into a home-based daycare where they may be a bit more flexible.
    redmoonintexas

Answer by redmoonintexas at 12:37 AM on Jul. 20, 2010

• If I needed a sitter after 1:45 tomorrow and she hasnt had diarrhea I would definately be taking her there. I understand the rule behind it but to think she cant come in at all isnt true, according to their own policy. Its very strange to me that they didnt check the temperature. Diarrhea can be normal if she ate something shes not use to, drank too much juice, or sometimes is just teething. Maybe you should find someone who can do what you pay them to do.
    cthrush82

Answer by cthrush82 at 1:22 PM on Jul. 20, 2010