How far in advance do you start planning family vacations?

I mean, looking into hotels, planning budgets, getting ideas of the things you want to do? And then how far in advance before you actually start booking hotels and planning itineraries? I have never really been on vacation before and I am not really sure how long it will take to work out the kinks before I feel like I am ready to go.

Mom1Stepmom1

Asked by Mom1Stepmom1 at 11:38 PM on Jul. 19, 2010 in Travel

• I was just going to say, "vacation? what is that? " Hope you have a great time!
    AshleyBDG

Answer by AshleyBDG at 11:39 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• lol..wellllll ive been saving for disneyland for myself and my daughter for when shes 8..and thats 2 years away..ive been saving for 1 yr already..i probably wont do the hotels, tickets or anything until about 3-4 months before we go...
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 11:43 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• I plan for it a year in advance, and start saving for it then too. That way if we have anything extra we can have random spending money. I would probably start getting reservations done 4 months before the trip, depending on where your going and how quickly it gets booked up.
    cthrush82

Answer by cthrush82 at 11:47 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• Usually for big trips I plan about 6 months ahead of time but sometimes we have little weekend getaways that are spur of the moment.
    vjoaquin

Answer by vjoaquin at 1:36 AM on Jul. 20, 2010

• We are really spur of the moment. If its a big trip we may only plan 6 weeks in advance.
    batjmom

Answer by batjmom at 7:22 AM on Jul. 20, 2010

• Probably about 3-6 months, depending on where we're going.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 11:39 AM on Jul. 20, 2010

• Usually a year in advance as far as making the reservations, it ensures we get where we want and when we want'. Then we start looking into the activities we want to do and budgeting. Smaller trips we may plan a few weeks in advance. Our cruise in September was planned in January. Also we need to ensure hubby's time off of work, so the more advanced we are on definite reservations, he'll definitely be able to take the time off. We already have all of our vacations planned already for 2011. In January we are going to the mountains (my kids have never seen snow) we already have a chalet reserved and paid for. In March hubby and I are going to Charleston ALONE, already reserved and paid for. In June we are going to the FL Keys, already reserved and paid for. In August we are going to Myrtle Beach, but we stay at BIL's condo, so we don't have to pay....just reserve.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 2:54 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• Sometimes we plan and sometimes where spontaneous! It depends on where your going and if the kiddos are coming with you or not....
    geminisummerz

Answer by geminisummerz at 10:30 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• If we ever get to the point to take a family vacation I would think a year in advance is good planning time.
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 3:12 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• sometimes days - sometimes weeks sometimes over a year. sometimes the anticipation and reseach is reall fun! It is never too early.
    chefjen

Answer by chefjen at 4:10 PM on Jul. 22, 2010