have you ever asked your nanny/sitter to get certain vaccines?

i'm hiring a nanny for the first time to help me with my 2.5 yr old and twins coming soon, and was just wondering if people ask their nannies about their vaccinations. if yes, how do you go about asking and do you ever take them and get them vaccinated? if they say they are vaccinated, do you ask for a doctors note proving they are? vaccines i'm thinking of are hep a and hep b in particular...any others i should consider? thanks.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:56 PM on Jul. 19, 2010 in General Parenting

• No, we are a vaccine free family. I would be rather backwards to not vaccinate myself of my children and then request that someone else do it...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:57 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• People request that their nannies get vaccinated all the time. Just list is at a requirement for the position.
    sherribeare

Answer by sherribeare at 11:58 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• You have the legal right to request this of your employee. We're a vaccine free family, and this is something I would ask a nanny. Since flu and other vaccines are live and can be contagious, and people can be carriers without symptoms, I would feel totally comfortable asking about it.

Do it up front. Don't interview someone and like her and then have to chase the issue. Tell the prospect "Here is our parenting position on health... Can you provide your records?" Done. A nanny's job is to reinforce YOUR parenting position and help you care for your children YOUR way.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 12:01 AM on Jul. 20, 2010

• I personally would be really turned off it someone offered to take me to get shots....but that's just me.
    MamaRoberts

Answer by MamaRoberts at 12:04 AM on Jul. 20, 2010

• When going through the hiring interviews I wouold let it be know then that they have to have certain vaccines. Hep a &b are good. Some other ones you might really consider are:

The flu shots
    The new one for whooping cough
    menigitis

I thinks these are important for both the children and the nanny. (IMHO) In My Humble Opinion
    Sunshine-27

Answer by Sunshine-27 at 12:04 AM on Jul. 20, 2010

• Great point ecodani - I never would have thought to ask someone about vaccines being we don't do them... But that's a great point about them putting our children at a higher risk if they do get or have them...

Thanks for that! I don't use sitters or nannies (just family & they all are vax free), but if I ever have to, it will be something I try to remember!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:06 AM on Jul. 20, 2010

• Well, my son has never had a nanny or a babysitter, but if he did...I'd make sure they had certain vaccines. I think it's a great idea to require it.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 12:06 AM on Jul. 20, 2010