What's it like having an abortion? adult content

As many of you know, I'm pro-life, but this has NOTHING to do with that. I don't want to know why you had one, or anything like that...I'm just curious what the actual procedure is like. Was it painful? How long does it take? What does it feel like ? Is there pain afterwards?

I also know that this is a very sensitive subject for a lot of women, so if you don't want to answer, feel free to skip this. I'm not trying to bring up any bad memories for everyone, I'm just honestly curious to hear from people who have actually had one.

LovingSAHMommy

Asked by LovingSAHMommy at 12:15 AM on Jul. 20, 2010 in Health

• well i will tell you. i was 20 weeks along. my son was not going to survive birth and i was having heart and lung issues. after meeting with 3 seperate specialists for input i regretfully decided abortion was my only choice if i wanted to live. My baby was a very wantd baby. but he had no frontal cortex. he could not survive outside the womb.

i went in at the crack of dawn , changed in to the gown and had a u/s done first. I then was led to a waiting room where they hooked up my IV and gave me some light sedation to relax me. after a bit they came and got me. the most painful part was the needle in to my belly button and in to my baby to inject the medication to stop his heart. once they confirmed he was gone they had me put my legs in the stirrups and did the procedure. it was a cutterage, they had to take my baby apart first. there was a lot of tugging and pulling. after about a half hour it was over. I was only given a
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 12:24 AM on Jul. 20, 2010

• I am extremely pro-life, but my mother had an abortion in 1965. My mom told me once about it and has never mentioned it since. I guess it was a vacuum abortion and she said it was very painful and it felt like they were sucking her insides out.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 12:19 AM on Jul. 20, 2010

• light waking sedation. i wanted to be awake when he was taken from me. afterwadrs the nurses helped me get on underwear with a pad. and helped me to the recovrery room where i was given some juice and crackers. I was given a script for some pain pills and sent home with directions for aftercare. i was very sore for a few days and felt very very empty

i mourn my baby to this day. i loved him so much. but i did not suffer debilitating grief , depresion, guilt. I know that what i did was the right thing. for us both.
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 12:27 AM on Jul. 20, 2010

• My abortion was emergency surgery, so it's not the same. I was under general anethesia for it, and the pregnancy was removed through my abdomen in laproscopic surgery. Obviously, I didn't feel the procedure, but afterwards I was MISERABLE, mostly because they use CO2 to blow your abdomen up so they can see inside and it's impossible to get it all out. My belly was full of air that wasn't supposed to be there and it HURT.

It sucked.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 12:31 AM on Jul. 20, 2010

• its not painful until afterwards,it takes like an hour,to be honest you dont really feel anythinqq u til afterward but it feels like apart of you is missing,yes your a lil weak,dizzy drowsy and its sore afterwards....but its different procedures you can do dependinqq on how far along you are
    Soon2bemom16

Answer by Soon2bemom16 at 12:18 AM on Jul. 20, 2010

• well.....once you make the decision...the rest is easy
    maciymommieof3

Answer by maciymommieof3 at 12:21 AM on Jul. 20, 2010

• I don't remember how long the procedure took. I remember receiving anaesthesia and feeling mild tugging sensations. Afterwards, I bled like a regular period. The biggest thing I remember feeling is.....empty. I didn't realize something had been conceived, but could feel afterwards that something was missing. Therefore, I felt empty. The second time I opted for no anaesthesia and the pain was almost unbearable! Just when I thought I could stand no more (and I have a high pain tolerance), it was over. If anyone was considering this procedure, do pay the extra cost for anaesthesia. In retrospect, I regret the folly of my youth and my decisions to abort. At that time in my life, I was pro-choice. Interestingly enough, I'm now pro-life!

Ewadun

Answer by Ewadun at 12:36 AM on Jul. 20, 2010

• My baby was a very wantd baby. but he had no frontal cortex. he could not survive outside the womb.
    "

That must have been heart breaking. I'm so sorry. :(
    LovingSAHMommy

Comment by LovingSAHMommy (original poster) at 12:32 AM on Jul. 20, 2010

• thank you OP for understanding my sadness and pain instead of judging and bashing my choice
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 12:48 AM on Jul. 20, 2010

• When my friend had her abortion, she was 5 months pregnant. She said she gave birth, just like she would with a full term baby,. Her boyfriend had gotten drunk, and punched her in her stomach, and had killed her baby. She was devistated. To this day, 5 years later, is on antidepressents, and goes to therapy twice a week. She had no pain medicine, and was in labor for 22 hours. She was devistated giving birth to a dead baby girl that she had wanted so bad. She had no family... so all she had in this world was that baby. I remember walking in , and she was saying good bye to her baby girl, crying her eyes out. It was the saddest thing i had ever seen.
    faithfully2God

Answer by faithfully2God at 3:29 AM on Jul. 21, 2010