Sippy Cups

My DD is 21 months old. She's breastfed and eats a ton of food. I recently started medication that needs ~6 hours after taking it to clear my system before I can nurse her again. So I got desperate and gave her a sippy of milk. She was using straw cups only, but now she has this Nuck-Nuck. She'll give this up eventually, right?? I took a bottle FOREVER. It was stupid and I don't want that for her. I don't really like that she has it, but it helps make our days less stressful. We're moving soon and I know I don't want to take it away now, but how old is too old for a sippy??

Arisce

Asked by Arisce at 12:17 AM on Jul. 20, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Unless you plan on giving her sippy cups when she's 16, then yeah, she'll give them up eventually. LOL I took all of my daughter's sippies away by the time she was 2-1/2 or so. She's 4 now and gets those *almost* unspillable cups with lids and straws. She still tips them over way too much to be trusted with something without a lid!
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 12:41 AM on Jul. 20, 2010

• I agree, she'll give them up when shes ready. My daughter was about 28 months when it was Christmas time and I told her Santa was taking the sippy cups away and giving her really coo. presents instead. She drinks from a regular cup fine now and is 4. I wouldnt worry too much about it.
    cthrush82

Answer by cthrush82 at 1:17 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• It doesn't bother me to see a 2 year old with a sippy. I will be giving my son sippys until he can drink out of a cup without spilling it all over himself. My nephew took a sippy until he was 2 1/2, then moved on to those water bottles with a sport top, and now he's 3 and can drink without spilling. So my son can have a sippy for as long as he likes
    Butterflysky_24

Answer by Butterflysky_24 at 2:01 PM on Jul. 20, 2010