What would you do?

I'm taking a remedial math class and my professor SUCKS. *Literally* First of all she has decided to make us the lab rats for her new method of teaching. She doesn't lecture at all. She tells us to do homework on work we've never done before and the next day puts us in groups. While we're in groups she walks around to see if we need help and has us ask other classmates for help. Umm if I don't know what's going on what makes you think the other people do...If it was up to me I rather have her lecture then put us in groups. Anyway I am seriously thinking about dropping this class. The thing is I don't know if I can change professors or I'm stuck here. My husband keeps telling me to call so I can switch teachers, but he doesn't seem to understand this isn't high school. I don't what to do!?!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:24 AM on Jul. 20, 2010 in

• I think I might call and say that due to unforeseen circumstances that class doesn't fit into your schedule very well and was wondering if there was another time you could take it.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 12:38 AM on Jul. 20, 2010

• You can switch to another prof pretty easily at most schools. Just go in and talk with advising and get switched to the same class at the same time in another room.

As a former college instructor, we don't do random things to prevent the students from learning. Not everyone can work and learn in every teaching style. Instructors use methods that help the majority learn. It's okay that this prof teaches this way, it's just not okay for you. Doesn't make the teacher a bad teacher and doesn't make you a bad student, you are just wrong for each other.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 1:00 AM on Jul. 20, 2010

• Go to the Learning Support Services Center at the school and request a tutor. Many schools have tutoring available free of charge to the students, others it's very inexpensive.
    Everyone learns differently.
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 9:37 AM on Jul. 20, 2010

• I see nothing wrong in how she's teaching the course. She's the professor, that's her choice. People have different learning styles. If you're struggling, seek help. College isn't designed to be easy, it's designed to be demanding, to require students to stretch, to reach, to grow. Hire a tutor, ask a classmate, form a study group ... but take responsibility to improve your own learning. You're exactly right in what you tell your husband - this isn't high school.
    justnancyb

Answer by justnancyb at 9:42 AM on Jul. 20, 2010

• I would talk to the dean or person in charge of that school. A Remedial class need's extra attention and your teacher dosnt sound like they want to put forth the effort, and they SHOULD be. There are actually LAWS and RULES for how a teacher teaches, and this dosnt sound like an accepted form of teaching to me.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 9:13 AM on Jul. 21, 2010

• Speek with an advisor and file a complaint.
    twinmama2009

Answer by twinmama2009 at 12:31 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• I'd talk to the instructor, then if things didn't get better, I'd drop the class.
    marlarrie

Answer by marlarrie at 11:55 AM on Jul. 22, 2010

• i've changed instructors after class started. not everyone learns in the same way, and if it's not going to work for you, i would get into another class ASAP!
    asil

Answer by asil at 8:34 PM on Jul. 27, 2010