does cater oil work??? what about cayan pepper water???

kaydee8

Asked by kaydee8 at 12:45 AM on Jul. 20, 2010 in Pregnancy

• For labor induction? No. Neither is evidence-based and essentially will only work if labor is already starting anyway, AND both leave you with the runs. Just wait it out, hun, baby will come when they're ready :)
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 12:48 AM on Jul. 20, 2010

• Castor oil will make you poop your brains out. It does not work if the baby is not ready. If the baby is ready, then it might work, but most likely you will just poop yourself to death.

Cayenne pepper has no impact in pregnancy, labor, or delivery.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 12:48 AM on Jul. 20, 2010

• if you are trying to poop and have heart burn then yes. if you are trying to go into labor, no.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 12:52 AM on Jul. 20, 2010

• i'm dialated to a 3 trying to get labor moving
    kaydee8

Comment by kaydee8 (original poster) at 12:59 AM on Jul. 20, 2010

• just rest. you need all of that energy during labor, not trying to make labor come.
    mommytobobby

Answer by mommytobobby at 1:06 AM on Jul. 20, 2010

• Plenty of moms walk around for weeks dilated at 3 or more. I know you are uncomfortable. You have to wait.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 1:07 AM on Jul. 20, 2010

• Kaydee, just being dilated doesn't mean anything. I was a three for two weeks and definately not in labor. Just relax and let nature take it's course :)
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 1:11 AM on Jul. 20, 2010

• So you're uncomfortable being pregnant.... so you want to cause severe stomach cramping and diarrhea? THAT'S going to make you feel better?
    To answer your question... castor oil can work, because the bowels are close to the uterus. When the bowels contract, it can cause the uterus to contract as well, and once the uterus contracts it can keep doing if you're already close to going into labor...
    Problem? It can make you severely dehydrated. You wouldn't try to get the flu when you're nearly ready to have a baby would you? And neither should you take castor oil.
    Danotoyou2

Answer by Danotoyou2 at 1:12 AM on Jul. 20, 2010

• Dilated to a 3 has nothing to do with your labor hun. I would NOT drink castor oil. I have heard some women say that spicy foods have brought on contractions, but seems like you would only be left with severe heartburn. The best thing to do is wait it out and your baby will come when he/she is ready.. If you are so desperate, try asking your doctor to strip your membranes. Worked for me at 40 weeks, 3 days. And walk!! Walking will help move your baby down onto your cervix, causing more dilation.
    xxlilmomma09

Answer by xxlilmomma09 at 1:40 AM on Jul. 20, 2010

• WOW!! You got some real birth professionals to respond! :-D

Well... whether they do or don't, please first evaluate WHY you want to induce yourself.

Is your baby actually-truly ready to be delivered? Is your body?
    If so, you would currently be in active labor, or postpartum. ;-)

Since you are still pregnant, try to respect the reason: Baby & body aren't ready yet.

Anyway, there are unnecessary added risks with these things.
    Having been there, I can say from the deepest place in my heart, it's not worth it.

What if you never had your cervix checked? It would still dilate and do what it's supposed to. But hearing that it's "progressed" is making you want to force things along. Your baby & body don't need that. :-(
    Like I said, trust me.

It's worse than anything I have ever done.
    :-(
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 1:51 AM on Jul. 20, 2010