Do you think it is possible to help your daughter with her first baby too much?

I am asking this because I was wondering if it were possible to help your daughter with her baby to the point that she doesn't bond with her own baby. Could the baby bond with you instead or does the baby know who the Mom is because of scent?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:49 AM on Jul. 20, 2010 in General Parenting

• i think it is possible.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 12:50 AM on Jul. 20, 2010

• Help your daughter by helping the adult. Don't take her baby from her. Don't feed the baby for her. Don't bathe the baby for her. Bring her food, change the sheets, etc. She needs to spend time with her baby. Help her with household stuff.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 12:51 AM on Jul. 20, 2010

• My mom has passed when I had kids and I surreeee wish I had her all through this parenting process for many many many reasons.

Anyway, yes in the first weeks, I do think the mommy should be holding the baby most, but you can help while she showers or naps, and help in other ways (cleaning, cooking).
    txdaniella

Answer by txdaniella at 12:52 AM on Jul. 20, 2010

• I think so. . . the help is always needed and nice to have especially for a first baby. But TOO much is not good and it is time for the mom to be a mom. . .show her the ropes without over stepping. . .Like others said. . .help the mom not be the mom. . . ;)
    Kirs

Answer by Kirs at 12:54 AM on Jul. 20, 2010

• Grandma's job when the baby is born is to help mom so that SHE can bond with the baby. If you're feeding, burping, bathing and putting baby to sleep, it can DEFINATELY interfere with the bonding process. Your help needs to be in the form of making mom's job (bonding and establishing breastfeeding) easier by taking care of things other than the baby.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 12:55 AM on Jul. 20, 2010

• Help out with the baby only when Mom is unable to. She needs a nap, she has a doctor's appointment, she has to work. Other than that, I would say that Mom should be the one with the baby. Or dad if he is involved. Grandmas are great for running errands, helping with housework, cooking food and helping portion it out for individual meals or things like that. Obviously there will be times when Mom can't be there with the baby and Grandma's are great for that too, but I really think that the majority of the child care, especially in the really early stages of development should be the parents. But Grandmas are great for advice too. Don't forget that.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 1:01 AM on Jul. 20, 2010

• U help to a point where she know u are there for u,but u let her do everything.
    mamaofficer

Answer by mamaofficer at 1:03 AM on Jul. 20, 2010

• The baby is going to bond with the person it relies on for food, warmth, comfort, ect. If that person is grandma instead of mom, then yes, the grandmother is helping too much. In addition, the mother might become resentful of her mother's interferance later on down the road.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 1:09 AM on Jul. 20, 2010

• Babies always know it.I'm a full time working mom(8am-5pm).my baby is 7 months old.his GM takes care of him during the day,he is attached to her,but on seeing me he rejects every other person.
    A11

Answer by A11 at 1:10 AM on Jul. 20, 2010

• I think its possible
    soccerchik8287

Answer by soccerchik8287 at 2:12 AM on Jul. 20, 2010