Over weight and trying to lose weight the healthy way while pregnant?

I'm 9 weeks pregnant and I am about 60lbs more than I feel is right for my body. (If you ask the BMI calculator it would be more). My goal is to eat healthy and lose fat weight while gaining the baby weight. But how do I know if im gaining the appropriate amount of weight for the baby. Any suggestions on how I go about losing weight while staying healthy.

OliviasMommy614

Asked by OliviasMommy614 at 12:57 AM on Jul. 20, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Focus on making healthy food and exercise choices, not loosing weight.
    Arisce

Answer by Arisce at 1:01 AM on Jul. 20, 2010

• don't lose weight when pregnant. it's not safe. just try to eat right, exercise, and either gain little or no weight.
    but, i'm one of those people that doesn't care if i gain tons of weight during pregnancy. i can lose it afterwards. i'd rather enjoy pregnancy than try to make sure i'm only gaining what "they" think i should.
    mommytobobby

Answer by mommytobobby at 1:02 AM on Jul. 20, 2010

• they say dont even try just eat healthy and enough dont worry about the wieght worry about tht after baby.. and i heard tht breastfeeding will help you lose me weight after baby and its healthier for baby
    Rachelxbby

Answer by Rachelxbby at 1:02 AM on Jul. 20, 2010

• You should talk to your doctor. When you are pregnant, you absolutely SHOULD NOT DIET. Period.

If it makes you feel any better, I was 190 when I got pregnant. 18 months later, I am 158. I lost the 40lbs of baby weight I gained, plus over 30 more. If you really want to lose weight, save it for after the baby comes and then breastfeed, breastfeed, breastfeed!! You will not believe how fast the weight comes off.

getrealmama

Answer by getrealmama at 1:04 AM on Jul. 20, 2010

• Don't focus on the weight loss. Focus on an eating and fitness plan. You are doing the right thing to lower your health risks for you and your baby.

Eat most of your food in raw fruits and veggies. Drink only water. No food from boxes, cans, or packages. No refined anything. Cook your meals from fresh foods.

Walk every day. Talk to your health care person about prenatal yoga or water aerobics or it her safe low impact exercise.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 1:04 AM on Jul. 20, 2010

• PS - try not to focus on your weight while you are pregnant. It kills me to see women obsess over their weight when they are pregnant!! I read articles that said because I was overweight, I was only supposed to gain 15 lbs for my whole pregnancy. I gained 40, and at least half of that was water. It had nothing to do with what I was eating, and it wasn't fat I had to lose afterward. Some people just gain a lot, some people only gain a little. Be healthy and happy. Stress is much worse for your baby than a few extra pounds is, and at this point, your baby is more important than you are.
    getrealmama

Answer by getrealmama at 1:19 AM on Jul. 20, 2010

• You should never lose weight WHILE pregnant, even if your BMI says obese, you should simply try not to gain over 15lbs... Make healthy food choices and ask your doctor to help you come up with a nutrition plan and stick to it. Good luck!
    MomtoElliett

Answer by MomtoElliett at 4:05 AM on Jul. 20, 2010

• I have a fried who successfully left the hospital 20 pounds smaller than when she went into labor. ( that was not her goal though) She gained 11 pounds during the pregnancy and was forced to follow a strict diet for diabetes her whole pregnancy. She ate healthy and completely gave up sweets. She could not handle artificial sweetners so stuck with lemon water. I think she said she consumed 2500 calories per day and never felt she was on a diet. Instead she had to watch her sugar and starch intake (not eliminate it) and she ate a ton of fresh fruits and veggies. If she had a cheat moment she went for a walk. She had to do this to keep away from medicine during the pregnancy. If you eat the right kind of food and practice gentle excercise you will be shocked. Dont cut calories. Eat a nice portion of healthy choices, even fat if it is the right kind. Def talk to your dr. Maybe he or she can refer you to a nutritionist.
    ambernicole531

Answer by ambernicole531 at 4:40 PM on Jul. 20, 2010