Why do people think being a SAHM is such a tough job?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:06 AM on Jul. 20, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Well maybe because sometimes it is?!?!?!
    Peekalou

Answer by Peekalou at 1:07 AM on Jul. 20, 2010

• Because it is! It ca be emotionally hard and physically hard. I'm a sahm, and I have very little adult interaction. That's not always easy. Plus, my day never stops. I don't get a lunch break. Even when I'm on here, my son is right next to me. I work hard, much harder than in most jobs I've had. I also don't get paid. Well, in money, that is. The rewards I get are far greater than the largest salary. :)
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 1:09 AM on Jul. 20, 2010

• Because it is. I love the time I get to spend with my children but most of the time I am more stressed out on my days off than on the days I work. Because that means I do the housework for the week, plan the menu for the week, do the shopping for the week, and get caught up on laundry. Plus I cook three times that day and have to do the dishes to keep up. I suppose if I had more time off, I would have more time to do that stuff in and I would be able to do laundry every day and things like that. But I remember it being pretty hard when I wasn't working too. And I think the fact that a lot of people don't recognize being a stay at home parent as work makes it harder too. You don't feel you get any credit for the work you do put in. Its expected of you, and you don't get any real praise, generally speaking.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 1:10 AM on Jul. 20, 2010

• I think the isolation is a large part as well as not having a real break very often. I dont think its a "hard" Job it has its moments where i just want some time to my self or i would like adult interaction. I also miss doing a good job and being recognized for that at an out of the home job. I love that i make my day, I love that i get to raise my daughter, i dont have to worry about whats happening all day with her, I get to take care of my husband, My daughter learns from me and i can take pride in what a great child she is. I feel that there are sooooooooo many more positive things than negative or difficult aspects to being a SAHM.
    calilove33

Answer by calilove33 at 1:12 AM on Jul. 20, 2010

• For some, it really is.

For me personally. It is not. It's the easiest gig I've ever had in my life... Sure beats the near 20 years I spent as a social worker any day of the week.. lol

But my daily life as a mother of an 18 year old only child. Is VERY different than the daily life a mother of 2 or more young children. I do not have: near the running around to do, near the cleaning to do, near the waiting on, near the taking care of..etc.. that goes on in the daily life of a mother with small children.

I can't compare my daily life to anothers and say or think that their's must be just as easy as mine is.. I just can't do it.
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 1:12 AM on Jul. 20, 2010

• Well, it is the most important job I can think of in the world.
    txdaniella

Answer by txdaniella at 1:12 AM on Jul. 20, 2010

• I have been in the professional world for 15 years, doing some tough jobs. But NOTHING prepared me for this. If you don't think being a SAHM is hard, then you must have paid help or you just don't care about keeping your family fed, clothed and clean. Because with one easy baby and a hubby who helps when I ask him to, I still get overwhelmed sometimes. I do work 20 hours per week but it wasn't any easier when I didn't.
    getrealmama

Answer by getrealmama at 1:13 AM on Jul. 20, 2010

• I should add...in others way, it's not tough, because it's also really fun. I have no boss, and I do get to do things mostly on my own schedule. It was a lot tougher in the winter when we were pretty much snow bound, lol.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 1:16 AM on Jul. 20, 2010

• I have been in the professional world for 15 years, doing some tough jobs. But NOTHING prepared me for this. If you don't think being a SAHM is hard, then you must have paid help or you just don't care about keeping your family fed, clothed and clean. Because with one easy baby and a hubby who helps when I ask him to, I still get overwhelmed sometimes. I do work 20 hours per week but it wasn't any easier when I didn't."

Lol, well said! :)
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 1:17 AM on Jul. 20, 2010

• Well said ladies. I bumped you all!
    txdaniella

Answer by txdaniella at 1:18 AM on Jul. 20, 2010